Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 3g communication to a laptop  (Read 749 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
I have bought the SIM5218 3G and GPS sheild along with the Arduino MEGA board.
The idea is to have sensors feed into the Ardunio, such as accelerometers and temperature sensors, and feed back the responses while on the go to my computer in my room.
I'm in uncharted territory here, having only ever worked with servos and USB interface.
How do i receive the data on my laptop?

How I imagine the code working...
Collect sensor and GPS data, create a single string.
"StartByte/Computer address(would an IP address be enough?)/Data/Checksum/Endbyte"
store on SD card
Send via 3G
receive a confirmation string
If not what expected, resend else repeat 5 seconds later

How do i find out the (correct)address of the computer and 3Gmodule.
What program/interface should/could i use on the computer?
what if i send it to a 3g tablet?

some example code would be useful, even if its just sections I can piece together.
Thanks,
-LeDono

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

The idea is to have sensors feed into the Ardunio, such as accelerometers and temperature sensors, and feed back the responses while on the go to my computer in my room.
If the intent is to "feed back the responses" using the 3G shield, then:
is rather a silly question. You are planning to send text messages to, or make phone calls to, your PC? How is that going to work?

receive a confirmation string
From? That won't happen by magic.

View Profile

If the intent is to "feed back the responses" using the 3G shield, then:
is rather a silly question. You are planning to send text messages to, or make phone calls to, your PC? How is that going to work?

The aim is to replace the USB serial interface with a 3G connection.
so rather than sending text messages, send data, like a webpage sends data to your computer

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

The aim is to replace the USB serial interface with a 3G connection.
What 3G connection? You mentioned a 3G shield for the Arduino to enable it to send data. You haven't mentioned any new hardware for your PC to enable it to receive that data. Is that capability built in?

so rather than sending text messages, send data, like a webpage sends data to your computer
Web pages do not SEND data. Web browsers make requests. Web servers serve up responses. The browser knows how to deal with the response that the server sends.

What application are you planning to have deal with the data that the 3G shield is going to send (which it will do either in the form of a text message or a phone call)?

View Profile

Sensors -> Arduino -> 3g Shield -> world wide web -> Home Network -> My PC via ethernet
or
Sensors -> Arduino -> 3g Shield -> world wide web -> Home Network -> My PC via WIFI
or
Sensors -> Arduino -> 3g Shield -> world wide web -> Home Network -> Nexus 7 via Wifi

I Don't care what format the data is sent by, I mean if the first two computers managed to send the word "HELLO" to each other across the world, i should be able to following the network map above.
(granted the second computer froze after the letter "H" but point is it got there)

View Profile

Web pages do not SEND data. Web browsers make requests. Web servers serve up responses.
While yes browsers make requests, the Server that the web page is on SENDS data (1's and 0's) back. 

The browser knows how to deal with the response that the server sends.
You're almost on the right track here...
I'm looking for away to send data to the 'Browser' or any other interface.  I can use C# to create the interface.  But what is the COMMs Protocol for 3G. 
Not text, not a phone call, not wifi or bluetooth (which while googling seems to be everyone's ignorant answer). Just 3G (tbh GPRS might even be fast enough for the limited data we are sending)

Once (with this forums help) I can get the 3G shield and the Arduino to talk to my/a computer, the next stage is to stream footage to the computer. (

I've heard mentioned ftp sites and using MSN.... are these viable solutions? Where would I start?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

I'm looking for away to send data to the 'Browser' or any other interface.  I can use C# to create the interface.
An interface needs to interact with hardware. What hardware is going to receive the data that the 3G modem sends?

Do you know how to make the modem send data other than as a text message or a phone call?

View Profile

Yes i know that.This capability of the wireless 3G modem makes it an ideal device for operators planning to upgrade their networks to HSDPA as it supports currently deployed wireless broadband technologies.

View Profile

An interface needs to interact with hardware. What hardware is going to receive the data that the 3G modem sends?
Just an ordinary laptop with wifi and ethernet via broadband. with a static IP address.

Do you know how to make the modem send data other than as a text message or a phone call?
That's why i'm here!
Once I can figure out how to send the data, I can figure out how to receive it. but it needs to be able to get there first.

View Profile

@ Ribbery45
What are you answering?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Once I can figure out how to send the data, I can figure out how to receive it. but it needs to be able to get there first.
The only two ways I know to make the modem send any data involve AT commands that send text messages or make phone calls.

Of course, YOU could look at the data sheet, and figure out what commands exist to send data in other ways, if any.

You need corresponding hardware to receive the data, I hope you know.

View Profile

Figured that I can send the data to a FTP server, then read that data from any computer via a webpage.
Now to implement it.

I was sort of hoping that there would be people on here that knew all about the SIM5218 shield, instead I'm having to digest 50 pages + of exemplar code :/
I guess that's how you learn

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Figured that I can send the data to a FTP server
Only if that server has a 3G modem.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: