Go Down

Topic: Too much mass on stepper motor? It wont spin! (Read 982 times) previous topic - next topic

Aug 13, 2012, 06:24 pm Last Edit: Aug 13, 2012, 06:51 pm by Clown_of_God Reason: 1
I have a 12V/350mA bipolar stepper motor from Adafruit: http://www.adafruit.com/products/324
I have a Arduino motor shield attached on top of the Arduino; this motor shield uses the LM298 driver, which can output 2A max per channel, according to data sheet. However, due to the huge mass (20 in Al motor shaft + attached PCBs; very heavy stuff) on top of the motor shaft, the motor is no longer turning, and I have to slowly push it w/ my hand to get it to turn step by step. My power supply (from Agilent) is 24V/0.5A. Do I need a larger power supply? All I'm doing is trying to make motor spin back+forth using the Stepper.h library. How do I make this motor turn? Do I need a motor w/ a higher current rating (up to 2A)?

Edit: I have 1 more question-- is there any way to adjust the acceleration of the bipolar stepper motor on the Arduino code? I know I can adjust speed using "myStepper.setSpeed(200)", where 200 = 200 rpm.

Runaway Pancake

and I have to slowly push it w/ my hand to get it to turn step by step

Does that mean that it runs, and keeps going, after you give it an "assist"?
If so, that's a clue.
Going from a body at rest to a body in motion takes a lot of work. 
A better-rated supply (or some SLA batteries) may prove beneficial.
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"
Hey, it's "bipolar transistor" or "junction transistor" - "BJT" is just stupid.

Not quite-- it's still at rest no matter what I do. I've tried a different power supply (from 24V to 32V) for the motor. I've tried pushing it, but it's still at rest. I know it's trying to move, because I see the 4 LED lights at the 4 outputs are flashing and there's a lot of audible motor noise.

Chagrin

Edit: I have 1 more question-- is there any way to adjust the acceleration of the bipolar stepper motor on the Arduino code? I know I can adjust speed using "myStepper.setSpeed(200)", where 200 = 200 rpm.

http://www.open.com.au/mikem/arduino/AccelStepper/

Runaway Pancake

C_o_G,
I think sourcing a stronger motor is your best bet.

"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"
Hey, it's "bipolar transistor" or "junction transistor" - "BJT" is just stupid.

Grumpy_Mike

My power supply (from Agilent) is 24V/0.5A.  Do I need a larger power supply?

Yes

By the way your name is the title of a book that was my kids favorite bed time story.

I figured it out-- the motor was a bad motor. It was stuck even w/ all the load removed. Replaced the motor and everything worked.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy