Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42   Go Down
Author Topic: [MOD] Arduino Enhanced Release 1.0.5 for Windows (installer, drivers, etc) +SRC  (Read 240605 times)
Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Well, yes, you may apply some security patches (MS sucks compressing stuff, but I doubt that the patches are the whole 190 MB again), what I wanted to express is that if you have the version *4.0* of the Framework, the applications using 4.0 will always run much like you have the Java runtime in the Arduino right now, it never needs to be updated or replaced if you don't want to.

It is not like an app store, or xbox live that it requires to be updated and replaced to keep some functionality: I still use the same untouched .net 4 built in Windows 8 from last year. But I understand your concerns, many years ago I was against .Net because in my mind, was just so wasteful (I started with Macromedia Flash and old Visual Basic in high school, so the generated "runnable" things were always lightweight, macromedia exe bundled or vb including the runtime dll), but .Net is modern and well architected, if mono was reliable to create a bundle I would make a lightweight version in no time.

My website: http://ried.cl

God Member
View Profile

Is the com port failure detect/reset wrapper function for avrdude still in the latest version? I had a play with your version 1.0.5 under Win7 x64 and I was getting regular "misses" on the USB virtual com port, requiring a physical unplug/plug cycle to correct. Tedious (but fairly normal, I know.)

However, your "wrapper" solution used to detect this and offer a soft reset, which lowered the tedium factor significantly (worth several Pepsis!  smiley-mr-green). Has this been phased out for some reason? Or is there something odd with my install?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:25:20 am by pico » Logged

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

Is the com port failure detect/reset wrapper function for avrdude still in the latest version? I had a play with your version 1.0.5 under Win7 x64 and I was getting regular "misses" on the USB virtual com port, requiring a physical unplug/plug cycle to correct. Tedious (but fairly normal, I know.)

However, your "wrapper" solution used to detect this and offer a soft reset, which lowered the tedium factor significantly (worth several Pepsis!  smiley-mr-green). Has this been phased out for some reason? Or is there something odd with my install?

It is still there, with a few tweaks. Can you enable verbose and post here the output when it fails?

The port will be checked if the arguments when calling avrdude don't contains: "-cavr109" but they contain portPrefix = @"-P\\.\COM", baudsPrefix = "-b":
https://github.com/eried/Arduino/blob/master/erw/csharp/AvrDudeReset/Program.cs

I think the ignore was just to avoid Leonardo issues on some people. Maybe the port is actually responding, the wrapper just tries to open the port, but does not test about the validity of the responses. If you can open the port in another terminal like HTERM, then your problem is a new one.

View Profile

win7 64 bit, same problem as others, just get splash screen then nothing. ran the arduino.exe --l4j-debug and same thing, splash screen no output
regular arduino works
suggestions?
Had the same behaviour (Light version without Java runtime on Win7 64bit). I had both jre 7_25 installed, 32 and 64 bit. After removing the 64bit JRE  it is working now! Is there anything requiring 64bit Java anyway?

PS: Updated to jre 1.7.0_40 32bit, also working.

launch4j.log:

CmdLine:   C:\Arduino ERW 1.0.5\arduino.exe --l4j-debug
WOW64:      yes
Working dir:   C:\Arduino ERW 1.0.5\.
Bundled JRE:   java
Check launcher:   C:\Arduino ERW 1.0.5\java\bin\javaw.exe (n/a)
64-bit search:   SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment...
32-bit search:   SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment...
Ignore:      SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.7
Match:      SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.7.0_40
64-bit search:   SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit...
32-bit search:   SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit...
Check launcher:   C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe (OK)
Add classpath:   lib\pde.jar
Add classpath:   lib\core.jar
Add classpath:   lib\jna.jar
Add classpath:   lib\ecj.jar
Add classpath:   lib\RXTXcomm.jar
Launcher:   C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe
Launcher args:   -Xms256m -Xmx512m -classpath "lib;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\ecj.jar;lib\RXTXcomm.jar" processing.app.Base
Args length:   120/32768 chars
Exit code:   259

I own an Arduino Uno. I am a total newbie.
View Profile

Been waiting for this. Thanks for releasing it so quickly! Cheers! smiley

United Kingdom
A Great Portal. Great links to great web sites
View Profile

Video about this issue on YouTube
http://youtu.be/zY1OQ12NVrE

Arduino ERW 1.0.5 Serial Monitor opens after upload but just displays a blank window, until I hit Reset in that Serial Monitor Window and then only a small amount of text is displayed each time that Reset is pressed.

The same sketch works in the Serial Monitor Window with the standard Arduino 1.0.5 using Ctrl+Shift+M to open the serial monitor..

This is not a complaint but hopes to help improve

Arduino Enhanced Release 1.0.5 for Windows (installer, drivers, etc) +SRC

Download:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=118440

Arduino ERW 1 serial Monitor bug

Seems to function as expected but the serial Monitor window remains blank.

Arduino Leonardo (Compatible)

COM Port 7

O/S Windows 7, 64 Bit

Thanking everyone

Enjoying the Arduino hardware and software

Houston, Texas, USA
View Profile

I have documented a "Stack Overflow" problem that I encountered in the standard Arduino IDE .
I note that the same problem exists in your enhanced version.

For details please see the thread:
http://forum.arduino.cc//index.php?topic=191078.0

Question:
Where do you store the TEMPLATE file?
I would like to add "Serial.begin (9600);" to mine.

I have three suggestions:
1) Add a an additional HTML help file that outlines the difference between the "enhanced version" and the "standard" version. Include things like new name for the "preferences file" and relocation of the "user library file". Personally I replaced the HTML files in new reference directory with stubs that point back to the original "Standard" reference directory because I have edited those files to include additional information, added missing files and added useful web links.

2) Include a option for the "user library path" in the preferences so that the user does not end up with two copies of their library files if they have both IDEs installed.

3) Do something about the IDE's failure to clean up after itself. The IDE fills the users temp directory with folders that it never deletes. These directories are named something on the order:
   console*.tmp
   untitled*.tmp
   build*.tmp
where the "*" is a long string of digits.
Of course specifying a "build path" in preferences solves the problem for the latter one.

These are NOT criticisms of your excellent work.
They are merely suggestions for your consideration.

* stubs.zip (3.08 KB - downloaded 15 times.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:50:19 am by lewtwo » Logged

engineering is the art of planning and forethought
http://www.keywild.com

Mid-Atlantic, USA
God Member
"Remember kids, the only difference between Science and screwing around is writing it down." - Adam Savage
View Profile

I have documented a "Stack Overflow" problem that I encountered in the standard Arduino IDE .

Question:

AFAIK the template is hardcoded. Having it as a separate, user-editable file has been discussed in this thread, but I don't know what direction eried has decided, or how far he has gotten with implementation. I haven't seen any updates for a while so I suspect RealLifeTM is getting in the way of maintaining this. ;-)

1) Add a an additional HTML help file that outlines the difference between the "enhanced version" and the "standard" version. Include things like new name for the "preferences file" and relocation of the "user library file". Personally I replaced the HTML files in new reference directory with stubs that point back to the original "Standard" reference directory because I have edited those files to include additional information, added missing files and added useful web links.

2) Include a option for the "user library path" in the preferences so that the user does not end up with two copies of their library files if they have both IDEs installed.

I'm not sure what issue you are seeing. I have several versions of the IDE installed including ERW (1.0.5, 1.5.2, and 1.0.5 ERW). All point to the same sketch path, so they all use the same user libraries. Yes, the official versions don't ignore the library folders that start with "__disabled_" like ERW does, but I can ignore them in the list as long as I only use ERW to enable/disable libraries.

3) Do something about the IDE's failure to clean up after itself. The IDE fills the users temp directory with folders that it never deletes. These directories are named something on the order:
   console*.tmp
   untitled*.tmp
   build*.tmp
Of course specifying a "build path" in preferences solves the problem for the latter one.

These are NOT criticisms of your excellent work.
They are merely suggestions for your consideration.

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

Interesting. This mod is 99.9% pure Arduino Team work. If nobody working on the official version fixes it, you can add it here with details: https://github.com/eried/Arduino/issues and I will try to do my best when I compile a new version/installer to fix it.

Question:

Yeah, as Sembazuru said it is hardcoded right now. It is suggested https://github.com/eried/Arduino/issues?labels=enhancement&page=1&state=open but I will eventually try to tackle most of the suggestions when the official new version (1.0.6?) arrives otherwise it will be twice the work (i.e.: Arduino Team decides finally to fix the icons, or the Serialrxtx in windows, or accept any other century old commit, eventually all the "enhancements" should be in the official version, one way or another)

You can set a complete different path in my mod, with their own libraries... and then identify both IDEs easily (hint: the ugly icon is the official one)

console*.tmp
   untitled*.tmp
   build*.tmp

Any particular reason you want that? Mod version has a button to show the compilation directory, it would make no sense if you close the IDE, the opened directory vanished.

Additionally, when the temp folder eventually fills the disk (couples of centuries on any modern PC if you use only arduino, because temps files <1 MB each run), Windows will warn you and offer the cleanup tool (so the decision after all is: 1 microdelay every time you close the IDE, vs 1 minute cleanup every couple years)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:32:24 pm by eried » Logged

Houston, Texas, USA
View Profile

Interesting. This mod is 99.9% pure Arduino Team work. If nobody working on the official version fixes it, you can add it here with details: https://github.com/eried/Arduino/issues and I will try to do my best when I compile a new version/installer to fix it.
Thank you. I did not  know that was the proper place to report a bug ... help directs one to post it on this forum under 'other Software Developement'.
"Corrections, suggestions, and new documentation should be posted to the Forum."
I will setup an account and post the bug report there.

Yeah, as Sembazuru said it is hardcoded right now.
OK .. that is not a very big deal anyway. Just thought that I would inquire. smiley

You can set a complete different path in my mod, with their own libraries... and then identify both IDEs easily 
I do not want completely different source files for each IDE. I want them to use the SAME source files and libraries. I  have that pretty much handled except the enhanced version locates the Libraries inside the user "Sketch" folder. The standard version locates it parallel to the user "Sketch" folder.

Any particular reason you want that? Mod version has a button to show the compilation directory, it would make no sense if you close the IDE, the opened directory vanished. 
I use additional utilities on the build files. I have the build directory specified in the preferences file. In that case the directory and the build files do NOT vanish (with either version).

Any particular reason you want that? ...

Additionally, when the temp folder eventually fills the disk (couples of centuries on any modern PC if you use only arduino, because temps files <1 MB each run), Windows will warn you and offer the cleanup tool (so the decision after all is: 1 microdelay every time you close the IDE, vs 1 minute cleanup every couple years) 
Just one of my pet peeves about ANY application that does not clean up after itself. It makes trouble shooting more difficult. One of the first steps I do when trying to resolve a "user's" problem is delete all the temp files and folders (that has been known to solve a problem all by itself).  Then I can tell what files the application is creating and investigate them.

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

I do not want completely different source files for each IDE. I want them to use the SAME source files and libraries. I  have that pretty much handled except the enhanced version locates the Libraries inside the user "Sketch" folder. The standard version locates it parallel to the user "Sketch" folder.

Are you sure about that? can you post the 2 directory structures you mention here?

I use additional utilities on the build files. I have the build directory specified in the preferences file. In that case the directory and the build files do NOT vanish (with either version).

But in any way the button in the menu opens the compilation folder, I am not sure if the folder changes with that option or the file is just copied over that destination.

Just one of my pet peeves about ANY application that does not clean up after itself. It makes trouble shooting more difficult. One of the first steps I do when trying to resolve a "user's" problem is delete all the temp files and folders (that has been known to solve a problem all by itself).  Then I can tell what files the application is creating and investigate them.

Well, this is kinda personal preference. I prefer those application that left the temporal files for debugging the issue, maybe you should take a look to Process Monitor http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx in case of any problem with any app. In a well designed application, the temporal used files are always fresh, in fact Windows has several methods in the api to get a pointer to a fresh temporal file that does not conflict with anything. Anyway, if some people besides you think this is a senseful option, I can add this to the settings something like: [ ] Purge temporal files when exiting the IDE.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:15:44 pm by eried » Logged

Houston, Texas, USA
View Profile

I do not want completely different source files for each IDE. I want them to use the SAME source files and libraries. I  have that pretty much handled except the enhanced version locates the Libraries inside the user "Sketch" folder. The standard version locates it parallel to the user "Sketch" folder.

Are you sure about that? can you post the 2 directory structures you mention here?

See the attach screen captures.
The first shows the "libraries" that was setup by the standard "IDE".
The second shows the folder setup by the modified "IDE".

This is not a big deal just a inconsistency that I noticed but that is a bit of a nuisance.
There are plenty of ways to work around it.

* Capture1.PNG (39.94 KB, 408x586 - viewed 66 times.)

* Capture2.PNG (38.64 KB, 411x593 - viewed 73 times.)

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

OH, that is not correct, I don't have it like that, I don't know if someone in XP also experiences the issue. Are you sure you didn't manually changed the settings?

Houston, Texas, USA
View Profile

OH, that is not correct, I don't have it like that, I don't know if someone in XP also experiences the issue. Are you sure you didn't manually changed the settings?
Affirmative and I am running Windows 7  X64.
I need to do some clean up so I will reinstall a virgin copy and see if it does the same thing.
OH .. I just noticed that you have a link to the setting files in the Preferences Dialog. Nice touch !
Cheers.

View Profile

Hello eried

First of all, I am sorry for asking this question in your topic because it is not the best place to ask but I can not find any solution for my problem by other means. I have written a topic  but nobody has answered it. Since you are modifiying the Arduino IDE, you might know something about this.

I am triying to modify the Arduino IDE to make some changes using Eclipse, so I have downloaded the source code from the web but when I try to build/run the IDE, without having changed anything, It gives me an error. Some people have told me it can be a problem between the arduino IDE source code version, the eclipse version and de Java RE and SDK version.

Do you think this might be the problem? Can you tell me which versions are you using?

Thank you in advance and for your release, pretty useful and easier to use.  smiley

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42   Go Up
Jump to: