Go Down

Topic: [MOD] Arduino Enhanced Release 1.0.5 for Windows (installer, drivers, etc) +SRC (Read 277006 times) previous topic - next topic

eried

Just for information and our all enjoyment... :-)

I moved from WINAVR to "MHV AVR Tools - A WinAVR Replacement". Code size of a random project changed from 12720 bytes to 11926 bytes. And as far as I see, everything works as before only with a current gcc toolchain.

This improvement is from the Official arduino AVR or compared to the version I included in the mod?
My website: http://ried.cl

hole

I came across it by looking around after some gcc improvements. Before that I didn't notice the age of it. Then I learned that there are some discussions about the toolchain, but honestly, I was to lazy to follow all the threads and extract any official words. I downloaded a nightly 1.5 build and it has an old winavr, too.

As far as I see, only the error message has changed (the IDE doesn't place the cursor at the approximate error position... f*ck C).

Some problems are on the libraries side. gcc dropped prog_* types, I found some usage scanning my libraries path. So those files won't compile any more. Mostly adafruit-stuff.

If it makes any sense in doing the work, it would be a nice addition to parse the error messages. And adding a note somewhere, how to manually update the toolchain.

I don't know.  :)

rujoking

3) https://github.com/eried/Arduino/issues/7 <- senseful options this may require? just to switch from 4 spaces to 1 tab?

Having an option to replace the space characters with a single tab character would be great.  For me it's a matter of consistency; hitting a single key should produce an action that can be undone with another single keystroke, as opposed to the way it is now where a "single" keystroke gets converted into four (or however many) strokes, which then have to be undone individually.  (I know it's kind of a weird thing to get caught up on but my field is interface design and I'm picky.   :D)

rhalf

Hello sir Eried. is there a new version of your Arduino Enhanced version? cant wait :D by the way sir, serial monitor doesnt work on arduino leonardo. another thing, can  we add a respective serial monitor for each sketch that are open(obviously with different com ports.)? Thank you sir and happy new year :D

eried

Since HP finally released a new graphic calculator I was using most of the time with that heheh http://ried.cl/proyecto/utilidad-para-intercambiar-archivos-con-la-hp-prime-primecomm/

But in any case, I have most of the current version issues fixed already, and I am mainly waiting for a new minor official release to join all and get the new version published.

hole

Another problem, I don't know whom to blame. I have this nicely layouted part of code.

Code: [Select]
const unsigned int sigs[7][3] = // namepart, signature, prgmode
// Attiny Sig
{
 { 13, 0x9007, 1 },    // L: 0x6A, H: 0xFF             8 pin
 { 24, 0x910B, 2 },    // L: 0x62, H: 0xDF, E: 0xFF   14 pin
 { 25, 0x9108, 2 },    // L: 0x62, H: 0xDF, E: 0xFF    8 pin
 { 44, 0x9207, 2 },    // L: 0x62, H: 0xDF, E: 0xFFF  14 pin
 { 45, 0x9206, 2 },    // L: 0x62, H: 0xDF, E: 0xFF    8 pin
 { 84, 0x930C, 2 },    // L: 0x62, H: 0xDF, E: 0xFFF  14 pin
 { 85, 0x930B, 2 }
};  

If I press Ctrl-T for autoformat it comes out really ugly. I could live with that (I would prefer less ugly, but ok...) BUT there are space added in front of the closing curly bracket.

There are other instances where things inside comments are changed. I think this is a no-no-no.

What I really miss in this situation is to allow me to fine tune the formatting to my personal demands.

(Created a issue on github, too)

eried

Another problem, I don't know whom to blame. I have this nicely layouted part of code.

Code: [Select]
const unsigned int sigs[7][3] = // namepart, signature, prgmode
// Attiny Sig
{
 { 13, 0x9007, 1 },    // L: 0x6A, H: 0xFF             8 pin
 { 24, 0x910B, 2 },    // L: 0x62, H: 0xDF, E: 0xFF   14 pin
 { 25, 0x9108, 2 },    // L: 0x62, H: 0xDF, E: 0xFF    8 pin
 { 44, 0x9207, 2 },    // L: 0x62, H: 0xDF, E: 0xFFF  14 pin
 { 45, 0x9206, 2 },    // L: 0x62, H: 0xDF, E: 0xFF    8 pin
 { 84, 0x930C, 2 },    // L: 0x62, H: 0xDF, E: 0xFFF  14 pin
 { 85, 0x930B, 2 }
};  

If I press Ctrl-T for autoformat it comes out really ugly. I could live with that (I would prefer less ugly, but ok...) BUT there are space added in front of the closing curly bracket.

There are other instances where things inside comments are changed. I think this is a no-no-no.

What I really miss in this situation is to allow me to fine tune the formatting to my personal demands.

(Created a issue on github, too)

Yeah, looks very ugly. I think I experienced the issue but since it happens to me in other environments from time to time I just try to remember to not autoformat that tab. What do you suggest as solution? I mean, this is happening because some other layout rules so would you prefer the autoformat routine to detect and ignore these *pattern* style?

I will try to take a look when I review the new minor version. I just check my github issues https://github.com/eried/Arduino/issues so if it is fixed in the official one, solution will be poured when I join the sourcecode: I know isn't optimal but my fixes/additions aren't usually multiplatform so they would get ignored as pulls for the official one.

hole

1.5.5 fixes the problem, so there is nothing to suggest. :-)

I assume that once the 1.5.x/2.0?-path has stabilized that your other enhancements and fixes will move into the final version, too.

Exposing the formatter interface to fiddle around with it might not be worth the work. The way 1.5.5 exposes the formatter interface is a good way to add individual changes. If it works (and 1.5.5 seems to work) and there is a way to fix the errors, so shall it be. There are other areas that could need work... and 1.5.5 still has the 5+ years old gcc.

eried

1.5.5 fixes the problem, so there is nothing to suggest. :-)

I assume that once the 1.5.x/2.0?-path has stabilized that your other enhancements and fixes will move into the final version, too.

Exposing the formatter interface to fiddle around with it might not be worth the work. The way 1.5.5 exposes the formatter interface is a good way to add individual changes. If it works (and 1.5.5 seems to work) and there is a way to fix the errors, so shall it be. There are other areas that could need work... and 1.5.5 still has the 5+ years old gcc.

haha, very nice!, well I am not sure if I should move to 1.5.x, anyone has some suggestion? there is full support for everything? In this moment I integrated the lovely teensy in the temporal dev version:

So basically the question is, there is a real gain? Anyone is against this?

hole

Ok, my current list of things with 1.0.5.

-- no real simple way to structure a project [1]
-- no way to organize the sketchbook [2]
-- shitty auto format (last post is only the tip of the iceberg)
-- library limits

- old gcc
- chaotic device management [2]

1: long story. in short it should work like that: use tabs, have all the declarations (vars/functions etc.) of a logical group at one tab. no need to "forward" declare on "main" tab etc.

2: this results in the stupid design idea of growing menus that could bend multiple times around the monitor. Its so backward '80 style of GUI design... And it is used for everything and its mother, sketchbook, examples, boards, Menues grow and grow and grow...

For the sketchbook, which I find highly useful, I wish I had an option to make a top level project with sub levels. Like "Alarm Clock" is top and "v1", "v2", "v3" etc as sub projects.

If I see the serial monitor of 1.5.5 I will stay with 1.0.5 ER for sure.

I don't know if someone had this idea, but can anyone make a pack with all important libraries from GitHub or something like that? Sometimes is a pain in the a$s to find a pretty common library on internet. Anyways, really really nice job. I'm using this Enhanced Release for about one month and I don't want to get back to the old original IDE. Oh, and can you add support for atmega644p and 1280p? Thanks! Good luck!

eried

I don't know if someone had this idea, but can anyone make a pack with all important libraries from GitHub or something like that? Sometimes is a pain in the a$s to find a pretty common library on internet. Anyways, really really nice job. I'm using this Enhanced Release for about one month and I don't want to get back to the old original IDE. Oh, and can you add support for atmega644p and 1280p? Thanks! Good luck!

Yes, I am thinking on a repository but it would be much better if Arduino did something, releasing a public api to use it, etc because it is not something very simple to maintain.

Ok, my current list of things with 1.0.5.

-- no real simple way to structure a project [1]
-- no way to organize the sketchbook [2]

Arduino IDE is intended for basic stuff, is very user friendly and you for sure can make big projects but maybe you are looking for something else. Check the plugin for Eclipse made by Jantje @ http://www.baeyens.it/eclipse/ (maybe this is the other side of the coin: too much features?).

I just like sometimes to start a notepad-like IDE, type something and done :)

-- shitty auto format (last post is only the tip of the iceberg)
-- library limits

What other problems the autoformat has?
Library limits? What do you mean? (broken compatibility?)

- old gcc
- chaotic device management [2]

I agree with chaotic  device management. I have a lot of enhancements in mind for this but as I commented several times I don't really love Java/Sun and to be completely free I should decide one day to move everything to a fully re-coded .net solution :P (but it is a long way)

1: long story. in short it should work like that: use tabs, have all the declarations (vars/functions etc.) of a logical group at one tab. no need to "forward" declare on "main" tab etc.

2: this results in the stupid design idea of growing menus that could bend multiple times around the monitor. Its so backward '80 style of GUI design... And it is used for everything and its mother, sketchbook, examples, boards, Menues grow and grow and grow...

For the sketchbook, which I find highly useful, I wish I had an option to make a top level project with sub levels. Like "Alarm Clock" is top and "v1", "v2", "v3" etc as sub projects.

If I see the serial monitor of 1.5.5 I will stay with 1.0.5 ER for sure.

Can't understand the last part. I am still undecided if I should go for  1.5.x or just keep the current one. Basically I am waiting to see if 1.0.x will have another version or no.

akaJag

I am still unable to open the IDE even with this version. Once I open the program it views the splash screen of Arduino and then about 1 second later closes. This is very frustrating and I do not know why this is happening.

Does any one more have problem with the Serial monitor?
i have 2 problems:

1. Autoscroll checkbox not working, it is always Autoscrolling.
2. if sending text on 1 line to long the monitor hangs and with that all arduino erw windows.( Variabel overflow?, force new line before it?)

martini2

Hi

how do i install Teensy support into the Arduino_ERW_1.0.5_20130524? The Teensyduino 1.18 installer wont't install into the ERW folder. Copying the files from old Arduino 1.0.5 folder breaks ERW.

Go Up