[MOD] Arduino Enhanced Release 1.0.5 for Windows (installer, drivers, etc) +SRC

I can't get it to run, I'm getting this message:

This is on a fresh machine that's never had the base Arduino installed, so maybe this version has only been tested on an existing setup so far?

UnaClocker:
I can't get it to run, I'm getting this message:

This is on a fresh machine that's never had the base Arduino installed, so maybe this version has only been tested on an existing setup so far?

Try to run it once as Admin, probably there is some problem with permissions in your machine.

Nope, same problem. Turned User Account Control all the way down, rebooted, same error. I'll try the standard Arduino and see if the problem goes away.

UnaClocker:
Nope, same problem. Turned User Account Control all the way down, rebooted, same error. I'll try the standard Arduino and see if the problem goes away.

You will get the same error. There is some issue when the IDE creates the sketch folder. Maybe you have a file (not a folder) named "Arduino" in your Documents

I love it! Three thumbs up!...and that's hard to do! Haven't used the official ide since I got this. My thoughts on improvments...please, please, please, please fix the bug that prevents the window from opening in the last location and size when you don't use file:quit. If at all possible, would be great to have it open with the last sketch that was being edited as well. I did notice that the serial window in your mod does this correctly now (official ide doesn't).

Once again, great work and thank you.

Quarencia:
I love it! Three thumbs up!...and that's hard to do! Haven't used the official ide since I got this. My thoughts on improvments...please, please, please, please fix the bug that prevents the window from opening in the last location and size when you don't use file:quit. If at all possible, would be great to have it open with the last sketch that was being edited as well. I did notice that the serial window in your mod does this correctly now (official ide doesn't).

Once again, great work and thank you.

What is that bug? I never recall arduino remembering the window position on startup :open_mouth:

How to replicate/ what is the suggested behaviour?

Good job! Well done

eried:
Hello, this is a tweaked Arduino IDE, hope you enjoy it! If it works for you please leave a comment.

Nice work!

I added a button to my IDE that you may be interested in:

It's a "Reload and Upload" button.

Since I use an external editor, it was a pain to have to click "Open", then re-select my filename, then click "Upload" again to test the code. So, my new button automatically reloads, then compiles and uploads the sketch.

Now all I have to do is edit, then click my new button.

The new button REPLACES the "New" button ONLY if "Use external editor" is checked. This keeps the IDE layout looking the same, except that the "New" button is now a "soft" button that changes function (and appearance) depending on if "Use external editor" is checked or not.

Since my mod only changes "EditorToolbar.class", I can unzip the "pde.jar" file, replace the "EditorToolbar" class, then re-zip it and it works.

I'll post the code if you're interested (it's only a few extra lines of code and a modified "buttons.gif" file).

Here's how it looks:

-- Roger

Nice! I guess button only appears when user is using external editor only right? Send me the code to include it :wink: What the external editor has?

Thanks! Not near visual studio yet but going forward :smiley:

eried:
Nice! I guess button only appears when user is using external editor only right? Send me the code to include it :wink: What the external editor has?

What I mean is that the "New" button changes to the "Reload & Upload" button if "External Editor" is selected. It doesn't matter WHICH editor you use.

Here's an animated GIF showing the difference between the IDE in "External Editor" mode and "Internal Editor" mode:

I'll post the code for you soon.

-- Roger

Ok, cool. I was asking what special did the external editor you use, maybe the bundled one can be enhanced to that feature?

The "reload and upload" button is redundant, since an upload always forces a reload from disk automatically anyway when in "external editor" mode.

pico:
The "reload and upload" button is redundant, since an upload always forces a reload from disk automatically anyway when in "external editor" mode.

OMG! I didn't know that! I spent all that effort for nothing......

krupski:

pico:

OMG! I didn't know that! I spent all that effort for nothing......

hahah :confused: shit happens. Well if you have another enhancement we can discuss it first. I never used external editor.

Thanks for this - not sure what is different from the official IDE but it seems to have solved the major issue with loading sketches on the 2560 :smiley:

Very happy!!

Edit - I spoke too soon =( It worked fine for a while but the same issues have started again.

eried:
What is that bug? I never recall arduino remembering the window position on startup :open_mouth:

How to replicate/ what is the suggested behaviour?

Very old bug that has been identified for a long time.

See this archived issue/bug report
http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=78

See this archived forum discussion

Here is a simple test:

1. Open Arduino ide (official or yours)
  2. Open a sketch and move/resize the window to your liking
  3. Close the original window/blank sketch by clicking the red close button in upper right corner
  4. In instance of the ide with your sketch, Go to the File menu and select Quit
  5. Now reopen the ide

The ide will open with your last sketch already loaded in the last size/position.

Conversely, if you close the ide by clicking x button in upper right window corner, hitting Alt-F4, or right clicking the icon in window tray and selecting close, the ide will not remember sketch/size/position.

Suggested behavior
The suggested behavior is for ide to remember sketch/size/position (Exactly the same as it does if you select File->Quit) no matter how you choose to close the app.

Additional Data from my feeble investigation
The code and capability to remember window size/position and last sketch is already in the ide. Unfortunately, it only works if you select Quit on the File menu. Check the idesettings file and the parameters for last sketch/size/position are there.

last.sketch0.path=
last.sketch0.location=
last.sketch.count=

The behavior is... If you select File->Quit it will update these parameters in the settings file. The next time you open the app, it will read these parameters and open the last sketch/size/position. If you then quit the app with a method other than File->Quit, it will not change the path or location parameters in the settings file, but it will set last.sketch.count to 0. The next time you open the app it ignores the path and location parameters because count is set to 0.

There is also an additional set of parameters in the setting file...

last.sketch1.path=
last.sketch1.location=

When I manually set the last sketch count to 2 (last.sketch.count=2) in the settings file and open the ide, both of the sketches identified in last.sketch0 and last.sketch1 will open in their respective window size and position.

If I add an additional set of parameters for last.sketch2... and set last.sketch.count to 3, it will open all three sketches in their respective size/location. Looks like someone was flirting with the idea of a recent sketch list on the file menu.

Did some more playing with this. As long as you close the original blank session, at next start the ide appears to re-open however many sketches you had open so long as you quit by chossing File->Quit. I have tested up to 12. I opened 12 sketches, exited the ide by selecting File->Quit, then reopend the ide (by double clicking the desktopo shortcut for the ide app) and it reopened all 12 sketches in the last size location they were in when I quit.

If I then double click the desktop shortcut again (without first closing the 12 open windows), it will open 12 more windows exactly on top of the first 12.

Quarencia:
Did some more playing with this. As long as you close the original blank session, at next start the ide appears to re-open however many sketches you had open so long as you quit by chossing File->Quit. I have tested up to 12. I opened 12 sketches, exited the ide by selecting File->Quit, then reopend the ide (by double clicking the desktopo shortcut for the ide app) and it reopened all 12 sketches in the last size location they were in when I quit.

If I then double click the desktop shortcut again (without first closing the 12 open windows), it will open 12 more windows exactly on top of the first 12.

Thanks for the detailed report, I certainly can do something on those areas if is needed.

I don't really know if is a bug or a normal behaviour. I mean, maybe I can add another menu option saying "Save and quit"? I can't recall any windows program that I like restoring the last edited file, for me a window is the representation of the sketch, and not the program. The position and size of the window seems to be wrong, I will check that because I prefer to duplicate a normal app behaviour like:

1. Remembering window size
  2. Window position is based on system location (in cascade)

But if you have some thoughts about this, I will love to ear them. I just don't want to change things users are get used to, but add features users miss, like the library manager or those small enhancements.

Magicj:
It worked fine for a while but the same issues have started again.

What kind of issue do you experience? it seems that lastly 2560 clones are very faulty.

Congratulations for this wonderful improvement Erwin. Can you explain me how do you calculate the ram usage and what is the criteria for saying "warning: Large amount of SRAM memory used" ? Do you have a percentage threshold (used/total) or do you use a more complicated technique?
Thanks

cantore:
Congratulations for this wonderful improvement Erwin. Can you explain me how do you calculate the ram usage and what is the criteria for saying "warning: Large amount of SRAM memory used" ? Do you have a percentage threshold (used/total) or do you use a more complicated technique?
Thanks

Hi. The original author of this improvement defined 50% as the threshold, maybe there is a better way but I can't think on one. I just added the board ram sizes to board.txt based on the datasheets.