Go Down

Topic: A basic grammar mistake (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

feraudyh

Hello,
  Looking at the reference section http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows
there is a mistake in the use of English grammar.
"it's" should be "its".
The rule is that "it's" means "it is" whereas "its" means the possessive of it
Henri

robtillaart

true, unfortunately there are more bugs/errors in the reference and tutorial section but these have low prio <even moderators cannot fix these sections afaik>
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

kf2qd

Please be a bit tolerant of such things. Not everyone here is a native english speaker, and not many of us native english speakers are English Majors.

CrossRoads

And moderators cannot make updates. If it's in the Playground anyone can make fixes.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

ribbery45

Most of the mistakes I have seen in writing on websites and forum are words that are used quite often in the English language. Most of them fall into the homophones category. I see a lot of forum that contain these common mistakes.

CrossRoads

"I see a lot of forum that contain these common mistakes."

forums? fori?

Lot of posters here speak english as 2nd language. I don't fret over about it if the meaning is clear. Sometimes you do have to ask what is meant tho.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

AWOL

Aug 11, 2012, 10:20 am Last Edit: Aug 13, 2012, 08:55 am by AWOL Reason: 1
"I see a lot of forum that contain these common mistakes."

forums? fori?

Fora

:smiley-yell:
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

adebaumann

Please be a bit tolerant of such things. Not everyone here is a native english speaker, and not many of us native english speakers are English Majors.

There is a difference between "being tolerant" and "ignoring the error"... In my view, the OP is just pointing out something that could be improved with very little effort... I don't see any intolerance there.

CrossRoads

Agreed about needing little effort. But we are not provided with the capability to make those corrections. Only The Arduino Team as identified on the home page can do that.  Just roll with it.

smeezekitty

IMO There are more serious things to be concerned with.

If we are nit picking on grammer/spelling, this error message should be fixed:

The sketch name had to be modified. Sketch names can only consist
of ASCII characters and numbers (but cannot start with a number).
They should also be less less than 64 characters long.

Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

AWOL

They should also be less less than 64 characters long.

Quite right - should be "fewer fewer than 64 characters long"
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Go Up