Go Down

Topic: Bootloaing AVR chip (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

You need a bootloader to tallk over the Serial port to the FTDI chip. That's how the sketch download works.

After Reset, bootloader starts up, checks if there's serial port action, if yes tries to download, and if no then is jumps to start of the existing sketch.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Vincent19

How can I burn a normal bootloader to my chip ??

I choose the board as 'Arduino UNO' ?

CrossRoads

To burn a bootloader, you need an AVR In System Programmer, such as
http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=415

Connect it to the ICSP header, select Tools:Programmer:select the bootloader
Then Tools: Burn Bootloader.

You blank chip must either be in a board, or wired up like an Uno: 16 MHz crystal, 22 pf caps from crystal pins to gnd, 10K pullup resistor from reset to +5, 100nF caps on VCC, AVCC to Gnd. Programmer then connects to +5, Gnd, and Reset, SCK, MOSI, MISO pins.

I think I had to add 2 lines to programmers.txt to make it show up in the list, and add the drivers for it when it was connected to the PC the first time.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Vincent19

: select the bootloader means I select the board type ? Each board type having different version of bootloader ? Am I correct ?

CrossRoads

Sorry, that should have been
Tools:Programmer: select your programmer.

Bootloader that is installed is indeed based on the board type you previously selected.  Each board type has its own file.

If your board is connected up as I described, then select Uno as the board type.

Go Up