Go Down

Topic: Looking for ideas on 19" rack mount for Arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

iisfaq

I am looking at creating a simple server room monitoring aruino and would like to place it in a 1U 19" rack in the server room.

The arduino is obviously small, and I would like to have 4 ethernet connectors on the front panel. Possibly with an LED display, which may or may not include buttons to control the display.

On the back I would like a power connector, and maybe another 4 or 8 ethernet connectors.

So my question is simply how can I make or purchase a "cheap" 19" 1U rack montable box to house this in that looks great?

The dimensions are obviously small

19" wide
1U Hight
6-10" deep

Since I want to put ethernet connectors on the front and back I will need a way to punch/cut the holes out but I would like to make it a professional looking unit and not one with wiggly hand cut lines.

Has anyone seen any products like this? or maybe some sort of plastic box that would work?

Chris

Chagrin

You did say "Professional looking" and this would certainly fit the bill.
    http://www.protocase.com/products/index.php?e=Rackmount
Googling "rackmount project box" turns up additional results.

If you want to do it yourself then you want a "sheet metal nibbler". A manual nibbler will run ~$10 or pneumatic ~$40. Beyond that you would need to move to a milling machine or plasma cutter process. If your total case is light enough you might be able to replace the metal front with an plastic front (ABS or acrylic, etc.) which Pololu.com could cut for you.

Out of curiosity, what are you monitoring? Temperatures or power strips?

MichaelMeissner

I recall reading somewhere that when they replaced the computers in one of the Norad sites, that the new computers were smaller than just the console of the old computers, and the amount of empty space in the facility was rather large.  I would imagine an Arduino in a 1U box would look similar.

iisfaq

You did say "Professional looking" and this would certainly fit the bill.
    http://www.protocase.com/products/index.php?e=Rackmount
Googling "rackmount project box" turns up additional results.

If you want to do it yourself then you want a "sheet metal nibbler". A manual nibbler will run ~$10 or pneumatic ~$40. Beyond that you would need to move to a milling machine or plasma cutter process. If your total case is light enough you might be able to replace the metal front with an plastic front (ABS or acrylic, etc.) which Pololu.com could cut for you.

Out of curiosity, what are you monitoring? Temperatures or power strips?

Thanks for that - I was thinking when I posted that if I would just get told to go google. But this is quite cool and even has it's own 3d Editor for designing the boxes.

I am mainly looking at Monitoring Temperature, Humidity but would like to get into Water Leak Detection as well

Chris

PeterH

I am mainly looking at Monitoring Temperature, Humidity but would like to get into Water Leak Detection as well

Are you aware that you can get USB dongles off the shelf that just plug into a handy USB port to do that sort of thing? It seems a bit over the top to add a DIY microcontroller and take up a slot in the rack just for that.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Go Up