Go Down

Topic: LED Stripe Driver Arduino Nano (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

sl33k

Hey need some help with a little project,

i have a led stripe with a common anode and three seperated lines for red green blue.what i want to do is driving this stripe with a arduino nano.
in orders for this to work i will need to pwm the rgb lines to ground. Therefore i will need a transistor. Since i'm not that of a hardware guy i need help with selecting the right transistor for this purpose. The Transistor should be able to patch the attached led stripe line to ground at the analogeWrite() frequency of 490Hz. I hope you guys could help me out.

thanks in advance
sl33k

Magician

Probably , you talking 12V RGB led strip, how long is it?

sl33k

Aug 15, 2012, 02:12 am Last Edit: Aug 15, 2012, 02:21 am by sl33k Reason: 1
Sorry forgot that info. its a 1.5m long RGB Led Stripe rated for 12v DC . i thought about providing the 12v by an atx molex connecter that could provide about 5a.this should be enough since the stripe is rated for 2a at 5m i think.

Magician

sl33k

thank you! :)
i need some help though for the base resistor.on the page you've linked they use a 2,2kOhm resistor. do you think this is needed or is a for example 1,74kOhm resistor enough?

Magician

About anything in between 1 k and 2.2 k should be good.

focalist

You may be running pretty hot with a 2n2222.. They are rated for 800ma max while you will pull about 700.  I use these same strips, the 5m version.. I have had great luck using MOSFET RFE3055 or an NPN darlington, like TIP120
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy