Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How would you spend $100 on Amazon?  (Read 882 times)
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, I remember
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I recently received an award from work in the form of an Amazon gift card/code.  I will likely put half of it towards textbooks, as I am still in college and need those things, but I want to spend the rest on something fun. 

I don't have any particular project in mind, but I am looking for all-around useful or fun stuff.  The only restrictions is I have to be able to pay for it with Amazon credit. 

Any ideas?

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

Arduino wise, what do you have already for programming? Why did you get involve with Arduino? Maybe you can provide a little more direction toward what interests you.

Faraday Member
20 LEDs are enough
View Profile

If you are in college and need books anyway, then there is no need to spend the remaining $50 at Amazon for fun. Instead it is time to learn some basic accounting. Just leave the $50 for further book purchases and take $50 in cash from you book budget. Now the question becomes: how to spend $50.

What I usually do with this kind of Amazon gift cards is to let them sit and wait. Sooner or later (usually sooner) I find something to buy at Amazon anyway. And I always account like outlined above.

Check out my experiments http://blog.blinkenlight.net

Breaking Worse
Edison Member
View Profile

Funny that you mention that, I just did last night ($102.91).   Some very large pad-per-hole veroboards.  I got the last five (for the time being) of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064TJYR6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, I remember
View Profile

More Information:  I got involved with Arduino mostly control and interface with motors and sensors.  I help coach a Science Olympiad team and their robotic events so I have ended up working on a lot of robotics related projects for them.  The last two projects for them were a sumo bot and a robot arm.  I even built my own H-bridge before I realized that people sell pre-packaged ones.  My ideas for future projects currently include pointing a gimbaled camera or trying to build a phased array microphone.  Yes, I know that second one is not well suited for the Arduino. 

What I have already:  A Dueliminova, a good stock of parts (notably always missing the part I really need), and a decent set of equipment minus a function generator (I doubt $50 is going to get me much there).

What I am already considering:
Headers and Jumper Wire (Who can honestly say they have enough?)
SD shield in some form
Motor Driver or Relay board / Shield
Mega (Many of my projects seem to be pin limited, how is the mega comp. to what I have?)
Solid Core Wire (I'm running low)
Small Solar Panel (sick of replacing batteries for our thermometer station)
Perf. Board (Thanks JoeN, you reminded me I was getting low.  I was never one for veroboard, but perf board is another story)

Note: As Udo pointed out, because I will be buying books from Amazon anyways this is really equivalent to cash, and thus I could get something anywhere.  So I guess the new question is how should I spend $50.  I've enjoyed reading your suggestions so far, and if nothing else tell me how you would spend $50.

Breaking Worse
Edison Member
View Profile

minus a function generator (I doubt $50 is going to get me much there).

Not much, but something:

http://www.amazon.com/50KHz-Sine-Square-Function-Generator/dp/B006LMZ326
http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-UK307-Function-Generator-Assembled/dp/B005UK6PLI
http://www.amazon.com/Same-as-FG-500-Kit-Form/dp/B0002MQEW4/

I wonder why they went with RCA and not BNC on there...  That is irritating.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:31:32 pm by JoeN » Logged

I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, I remember
View Profile

Interesting products/kits.  I'll have to look at them in more detail when I have time. I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would put an RCA jack there unless it was meant for audio testing. 

Thanks

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

So I guess the new question is how should I spend $50.  I've enjoyed reading your suggestions so far, and if nothing else tell me how you would spend $50.

I'd be tempted to pick up this Sparkfun soldering iron. Some folks here are liking it, and the old Hakko I have on loan isn't performing as well as I'd like. I'd get a couple spare tips too, putting me a bit over $50, not including shipping and tax.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: