Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Not TRYING to start a flame war honest.  (Read 4682 times)
Dallas, Texas
God Member
Old, decrepit curmugeon
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

One thing I have noticed over the years is that you can usually tell what language a programmer first learned from the style of their code in their current language.  Certain styles/idioms(or in the modern parlance patterns) are common to some of the original languages used--in particular Pascal and FORTRAN...

When hiring a programmer I alway request to see examples of their code in two divergent language families.  If the two examples show the 'native' style for that language I make the assumption that the programmer at least has the experience in enough languages to be flexibile and has "really" learned the language... rather than simply using the language paradigm they are used to in a new language.

New true random number library available at: http://code.google.com/p/avr-hardware-random-number-generation/

Current version 1.0.1

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

It would take a keen eye to spot a CESIL programmer   smiley

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Dallas, Texas
God Member
Old, decrepit curmugeon
View Profile

It would take a keen eye to spot a CESIL programmer   smiley

Do you know of anyone whoose FIRST language was CECIL? smiley

New true random number library available at: http://code.google.com/p/avr-hardware-random-number-generation/

Current version 1.0.1

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

CECIL?
Never heard of it.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Dallas, Texas
God Member
Old, decrepit curmugeon
View Profile

CECIL?
Never heard of it.

Sorry, I meant CESIL, CECIL was an early OO language... smiley

Current version 1.0.1

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

Do you know of anyone whoose FIRST language was CECIL?
Well, CESIL was the first language I learned, but not the first I earned a living by.
That honour would fall to COBOL.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

Charles Moore had the first Forth core in use aiming telescopes 1959. That predates Dartmouth BASIC by 5 years.  smiley-twist

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

Obviously Dartmouth had the better marketing department.

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

(OTOH, I have written systems programs for a mainframe in Lisp.  (well, modified, actually.  FLAIR replace the Tops20 file archiver daemon with a MacLisp program that FTPed the files to unix systems (which had much cheaper disks), and they needed it updated for a new version of Tops.))

So, you've used TECO?

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

One thing I have noticed over the years is that you can usually tell what language a programmer first learned from the style of their code in their current language.

When I first started writing FORTRAN, my boss looked at my code and said, "Well I guess you can write COBOL in any language if you really try." However, given the evolution of my IT career, I suspect you wouldn't spot anything like that now. Upon consideration, I suspect it's rather difficult to make  PL/SQL look at all like Macro-11 either. I keep thinking I need to learn Python, but the biggest barrier is how to write it like C! smiley Is there a Python pre-processor that lets you use braces, and reformats with correct space-nesting?

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

He didn't call it Forth until 1968. It was supposed to be Fourth but the name space only allowed 5 letters so the u was dropped.

Forth is not for people who need lines to color inside.  smiley-wink
It's almost the opposite to Pascal, capability without controls.

It is OOP though I dunno just when creates-does (builds-does in some versions) appeared. Fact is that until I found C++ I never wrote in another language capable of self-extension.

It is stack-oriented. You define words by what is expected on the stack, the word name, and what is left on the stack.
That helps loads in development, it's very intuitive and fast to code once you understand the basics. I kept a box of 3x5 cards with definitions for my last Forth work.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

So, you've used TECO?
Yes.  In tops10, UTexas (v124), and ITS varieties.
I still have the source code for the UTexas version.

Dallas, Texas
God Member
Old, decrepit curmugeon
View Profile

Do you know of anyone whoose FIRST language was CECIL?
Well, CESIL was the first language I learned, but not the first I earned a living by.
That honour would fall to COBOL.

For both of those you have my sympathy. smiley

Current version 1.0.1

Dallas, Texas
God Member
Old, decrepit curmugeon
View Profile

He didn't call it Forth until 1968. It was supposed to be Fourth but the name space only allowed 5 letters so the u was dropped.

Forth is not for people who need lines to color inside.  smiley-wink
It's almost the opposite to Pascal, capability without controls.

It is OOP though I dunno just when creates-does (builds-does in some versions) appeared. Fact is that until I found C++ I never wrote in another language capable of self-extension.

It is stack-oriented. You define words by what is expected on the stack, the word name, and what is left on the stack.
That helps loads in development, it's very intuitive and fast to code once you understand the basics. I kept a box of 3x5 cards with definitions for my last Forth work.

Forth, at least as I remember it, didn't qualify as object oriented, while it does (and did) have extensibility that in and of itself doesn't meet all (or even most) of the requirements of an OO language at least in its early versions, which are all I am familiar with.  It was solidly a procedural language

BTW, the first OOP language is generally accepted to be SIMULA 67.  I think there was a reason that the early OO languages were developed for the purpose of creating models or simulations, while all of their contemporary general purpose languages were procedural in implementation.  When simulating real systems, the idea of 'objects' just fits the paradigm...

Current version 1.0.1

Dallas, Texas
God Member
Old, decrepit curmugeon
View Profile

Charles Moore had the first Forth core in use aiming telescopes 1959. That predates Dartmouth BASIC by 5 years.  smiley-twist

Publish or perish...  Apparently he never published his work, unlike Dartmouth, or even tried to produce a commercial product.  We have only his word, essentially, that whatever he was doing then bears any resemblance to the Forth that he produced for commercial use in the early 70's...

While the language had some advantages for use on limited resource machines, I believe that it suffers the same fundamental fault that it shares with RPN calculators.  Its design is to make it easier to allow a computer to parse/process the language, rather than mimic the way most people think.

Current version 1.0.1

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: