Go Down

Topic: Not TRYING to start a flame war honest. (Read 6332 times) previous topic - next topic

cjdelphi

But... has C or C++ got PASCAL calling conventions?... if so is and/or/xor and not 4 part of them?..

eg...

Code: [Select]

int b;

void setup()
{
  b=10;
  //c code
  b = b ^ b;
  //C Form
  b = (b xor b);
  // xor (used in pascal);

b = !b;
  //pascal
  b = not b;

b = b | b;
  //pascal
  b = b or b;

b = b & b;
  //pascal
  b = b and b;
}

void loop()
{

}

i don't have a vanilla c compiler to test this, but i find it odd, this compiles perfectly.

helps HEAPS to remember what's what for me now, and what to use. not trying to start a way, but are these operators intended? some kind of pascal/fortran influence going on there?

PaulS

But... has C or C++ got PASCAL calling conventions?... if so is and/or/xor and not 4 part of them?

No, but there are often additions to the basic C/C++ compiler to enable that sort of stuff (for the weak minded that can't remember the simple C way...)

wanderson

But... has C or C++ got PASCAL calling conventions?... if so is and/or/xor and not 4 part of them?

No, but there are often additions to the basic C/C++ compiler to enable that sort of stuff (for the weak minded that can't remember the simple C way...)

Using the C/C++ preprocessor you can accomplish a great deal in the way of making C/C++ look like another language; however this is ALWAYS a bad idea.  The resulting code is hard to manage.  No other programmers will have a simple time working on it.  And many other well documented issues.  Ultimately if you want to use PASCAL, then use pascal.  You could use the GNU Pascal to C compiler chain, in conjunction with the standard AVR C/C++ chain.  You might need to modify/create the nescessary support libraries.  There are also commercial PASCAL compilers for the AVR.

In short use the correct tool for the task, don't try to use a hammer as a wrench...
New true random number library available at: http://code.google.com/p/avr-hardware-random-number-generation/

Current version 1.0.1

AWOL

Look for a file called iso646.h.

It is hard to use a hammer as a wrench, but quite good fun to use a wrench as a hammer.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

cjdelphi

boolean you = false;
  you = not you;
  if (you == true)
    return;

scary :D

Tom Carpenter

Aug 15, 2012, 04:44 pm Last Edit: Aug 15, 2012, 04:46 pm by Tom Carpenter Reason: 1
I have used this before:

#define OR ||
#define AND &&
#define XOR !=
#define NOT !

boolean a,b,c;

void setup(){
//Just demonstrations, I doubt this does anythign useful.
 a = (b XOR c);
 b = NOT b;
 c = (b AND a);
 b = (a OR b);
}

Edit:
or you can do this one for bitwise operators:
#define or |
#define and &
#define xor ^
#define not ~

byte a,b,c;

void setup(){
 a = 10;
 b = 103;
 c = 78
 a = (b xor c);
 b = not b;
 c = (b and a);
 b = (a or b);
}

~Tom~

MichaelMeissner

Edit:
or you can do this one for bitwise operators:
#define or |
#define and &
#define xor ^
#define not ~

byte a,b,c;

void setup(){
 a = 10;
 b = 103;
 c = 78
 a = (b xor c);
 b = not b;
 c = (b and a);
 b = (a or b);
}

Given the Arduino uses C++ instead of just C, you don't need the defines, since and/and_eq/or/or_eq/not/not_eq are C++ keywords that map into the C counterparts.

oric_dan

#define OR ||
#define AND &&
#define XOR !=
#define NOT !

I once knew another Pascal programmer who started writing code in C. He didn't stop as
above, but #defined every lit bit of C that he could into Pascal syntax. begin to {, end to },
= to :=, on and on to the end of time and sanity. I think for good measure, he also tossed
in a little retranslated Basic syntax.

MichaelMeissner

I once knew another Pascal programmer who started writing code in C. He didn't stop as
above, but #defined every lit bit of C that he could into Pascal syntax. begin to {, end to },
= to :=, on and on to the end of time and sanity. I think for good measure, he also tossed

And this is one of the reasons I implemented the -save-temps (and more recently -save-temps=obj) option in GCC many, many years ago, so that I could see what was really being fed to the compiler when bug reports came up.  The -save-temps option leaves a copy of the output after preprocessing and the assembler input file around.

GoForSmoke

int b;

void setup()
{
  b=10;
  //c code
  b = b ^ b;
  //C Form
  b = (b xor b);
  // xor (used in pascal);

b = !b;
  //pascal
  b = not b;

b = b | b;
  //pascal
  b = b or b;

b = b & b;
  //pascal
  b = b and b;
}

void loop()
{

}

Just because it compiles doesn't always mean it's going to do what you think.
Try throwing a few print statements in there, maybe we can fun over the results.
Nick Gammon on multitasking Arduinos:
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts

PeterH

I seem to remember seeing a Jive macro set years ago that converted contemporary American slang into valid 'C'. :)
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

pYro_65

I seem to remember seeing a Jive macro set years ago that converted contemporary American slang into valid 'C'.

Haha, like the Simpsons example.

A whole nother = allocate some memory.

Come 'ere a minute = read value after short delay.

cjdelphi

int b;

void setup()
{
  b=10;
  //c code
  b = b ^ b;
  //C Form
  b = (b xor b);
  // xor (used in pascal);

b = !b;
  //pascal
  b = not b;

b = b | b;
  //pascal
  b = b or b;

b = b & b;
  //pascal
  b = b and b;
}

void loop()
{

}

Just because it compiles doesn't always mean it's going to do what you think.
Try throwing a few print statements in there, maybe we can fun over the results.

int b;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  b=1;
  //c code
  b = b ^ b;
  Serial.print("C Version: ");
  Serial.println(b);
  Serial.println();
  //C Form (interesting, does ^ not mean XOR? these conflict, the
  //rest (below match)
  b = (b xor b);
  Serial.print("Pascal Style Version: ");
  Serial.println(b);
  Serial.println();

// xor (used in pascal);

b = !b;
  Serial.println(b);
  Serial.println();

//pascal
  b = not b;
  Serial.println(b);
  Serial.println();

b = b | b;
  Serial.println(b);
  Serial.println();

//pascal
  b = b or b;
  Serial.println(b);
  Serial.println();

b = b & b;
  Serial.println(b);
  Serial.println();

//pascal
  b = b and b;
  Serial.println(b);
  Serial.println();
}

void loop()
{

}

I Think ^ is not the same as XOR but the rest seems to yeild identical values, but then my maths sucks badly, i use my fingers to count on still lol...

anyway, could someone throw it some real values to check to see what the differences actually are?

lloyddean

Aug 16, 2012, 07:13 am Last Edit: Aug 16, 2012, 07:15 am by lloyddean Reason: 1
I may've missed it but nobody seems to have mentioned that the following keywords are simply part of the C++ standard.

and
    and_eq
   bitand
   bitor
   compl
   not
   not_eq
   or
   or_eq
   xor
   xor_eq

AWOL

I may've missed it

You have.
Reply #6.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy