Go Down

Topic: Cannibalizing Printer and Satellite Decoder for Spares. (Read 862 times) previous topic - next topic

sams88

Hi people,

I am new to Arduino, I find it fantastic and less frustrating than the Board I had to use at University last term.

I have found some printers and a Satelite decoder at a relives house, and I plan to canibaliste them, my obvious targets being the motors, resistance and push buttons.

Is there anything of value I could get from them ?
I lost my tinkerer mojo because my Electronics module was just a pain and I couldn't afford the material, but with Arduino I can actually do something on the cheap and I feel like Cannibal this week ;)

CrossRoads

Can probably grab the printer electronics too - should be a usable power supply, maybe optical sensors, who knows what else.
Satellide decoder - won't know until you open it.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Docedison

I just scrapped a satellite receiver last week... Got about 30 electrolytics all of which measured ok, 3 crystals (One a VCO) a bunch of inductors for switchers and a whole gang of other parts including a separate Mains to 12Vdc switching PSU. Given a little patience and a good soldering iron and a free evening. Lots of really useful parts. Switching power supplies for Printers are really nice as a buck mode switching regulator will take that 24Vdc @ 500 mA output from an HP Printer and deliver 2.1 A @ 5Vdc out (the missing .3 A @ 5Vdc is the loss due to the efficiency of the switcher) and the nicest part is that it only requires a $1.95 switcher from Ebay. I always keep 3 or 4 of these parts on hand just for that purpose.

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

sams88

Thank you everybody for the answer  :)

I got a little impatient because my new iron and my tools where taking long to arrive so I decided to go medieval on the Satellite Dish decoder with a knife.   :smiley-red:

I netted a 160GB HD, A motor (handy for my arduino learning, don't need to buy one from store), a transformer circuit with 2,5/3/12V output, USB mate and a IR sensor (which I also failed to buy in store)

I am going to open the rest only after I get my tools and my iron.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy