Go Down

Topic: Powering the Arduino UNO with a 5V 3A UBEC. (Read 163 times) previous topic - next topic

YaddyVirus

Hi there!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I just wanted to confirm, I am planning to power up my Arduino UNO using a 8.6V Li-Po battery pack that I made through a UBEC which provides 5V 3Amps regulated power. Is it gonna work or blow my Arduino to pieces??

sarouje

In one of my project I gave, 12v 1A raw voltage to VIN of Arduino Nano. It works really well till now. My initial idea was to use a linear regulator like LM7809 but ended up sensing a lot of heat from LM7809, so connected the 12v directly to VIN with a capacitor in between.

I think you can connect directly to VIN, anyway wait for the reply of other experienced members.
Sony Arouje
http://sonyarouje.com

MarkT

You could do that, or provide the 8.6V to the barrel jack or Vin.  Check that the UBEC is actually producing
5V with a multimeter if you want extra confidence.  5V is 5V however many amps can be sourced.

It is wise to add a fuse before the UBEC since LiPo packs can generate very large currents if there is
a short circuit - a fuse will prevent the wiring melting in that situation (that is the role of fuses).  Basically
take care to avoid short-circuits when using high-current supplies and batteries.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

MarkT

In one of my project I gave, 12v 1A raw voltage to VIN of Arduino Nano. It works really well till now. My initial idea was to use a linear regulator like LM7809 but ended up sensing a lot of heat from LM7809, so connected the 12v directly to VIN with a capacitor in between.

I think you can connect directly to VIN, anyway wait for the reply of other experienced members.
The heat will be generated whichever you do, either in the 7809 or in the on-board regulator if
using Vin.  A 9V regulator will mean the heat is split between the board and the external regulator,
which ought to help lower the temperature of the Nano's on-board regulator.

With 8.6V supply there isn't really enough voltage overhead to use an intermediate regulator.

If the OP's UBEC is switch-mode it will generate much less heat anyway.  We don't know if much of
the 3A is needed or not by the Arduino circuit anyway.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

YaddyVirus

You could do that, or provide the 8.6V to the barrel jack or Vin.  Check that the UBEC is actually producing
5V with a multimeter if you want extra confidence.  5V is 5V however many amps can be sourced.

It is wise to add a fuse before the UBEC since LiPo packs can generate very large currents if there is
a short circuit - a fuse will prevent the wiring melting in that situation (that is the role of fuses).  Basically
take care to avoid short-circuits when using high-current supplies and batteries.
Yes the UBEC is giving 5.2V roughly, I checked. Moreover if I just power up the Arduino with the batteries directly into the barrel jack is it okay?

Sounds like I could have a spare UBEC then

sarouje

May 31, 2016, 10:37 am Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:42 am by sarouje
If the OP's UBEC is switch-mode it will generate much less heat anyway.  We don't know if much of
the 3A is needed or not by the Arduino circuit anyway.
I am in the process of redesigning the system, this time I used a switching regulator (LM2575) and it worked really well without producing any heat. Source remains same 12v 1A. This time I am powering an ATMEAGA 32 instead of a Nano.

Yes the UBEC is giving 5.2V roughly, I checked. Moreover if I just power up the Arduino with the batteries directly into the barrel jack is it okay?
yes you can connect directly to the barrel jack or connect to VIN pin.
Sony Arouje
http://sonyarouje.com

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy