Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Mega, Screw (Terminal) it  (Read 20943 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

bibre, I found I had to trim a couple of the screw terminal ears between 8-pin sections, the spacing between adjacent blocks was a touch too far apart for the tabs to slide into the adjacent blocks.

LarryMcM,
Daka101,
Docedison,

Am I buying 2 sets of connectors, or 3?
Let me know, I'll order parts tonight.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

bibre, I found I had to trim a couple of the screw terminal ears between 8-pin sections, the spacing between adjacent blocks was a touch too far apart for the tabs to slide into the adjacent blocks.

LarryMcM,
Daka101,
Docedison,

Am I buying 2 sets of connectors, or 3?
Let me know, I'll order parts tonight.

I'll take two complete kits if you have two left.  If someone else wants one of the two before you ship them to me, let them take one.  I'd like to order at least two more at a later date as well if you decide to make more.  No rush at all though.  Very nice board, exactly what I was looking for.  I really appreciate the time you've put into this.

Larry

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

No problem, I can order more boards at any time. If you want 4, I'll put in an order for 5 more now.
I don't have any headers/screw terminals except in the board I put together for myself.
Sounds like 6 sets may be needed, and I think there was a request for one in France in a different thread.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Should this be a PM...? I will take one Full board this month and one next... BTW I hope it is a kit... For a number of reasons, I Love LEAD solder so I'll be happy...
To apply my toxic? (hasn't killed me in 50 years, isn't going to...) LEAD (YEAH!) solder and there is the thought that I might save whatever connectors I don't use immediately for when I re-purpose the shield later. I am building my "Project" piece by piece but most if not all of it might well go on a PCB now, in advance of the Code
at least the Proc and pinouts to connectors... Do you have a 1280 or 2560 board with holes/pins that might be used as a basis (A la Pro Mini) but with a Mega footprint?.
I've been using the Itead displays because they are really easy and Dirt Cheap @ 22.00 for a 320X240 3.2" display/mega shield however I can use a 4D Systems 3.2 PT SGC but I need 3 serial ports, 1, for the computer, 1, for the Display and one for the GPS. The radio is SPI and the Baro sensor (BMP085) is 2 wire. Since the 2 wire is 3V3 to 5V I will probably make the translator on the GPS board... If I don't just use a Pro Mini and stuff that stuff in there with the remote temp and humidity sensor (Remote. Li-Po and a solar charger... Solves the GPS receiver "Seeing" the sats issue too). Any Idea's or should I just bite the bullet and layout a board. I'm really pleased as I got the first 4 modules working in less than 40K bytes... And with the exception of the 3208 scroller for which I have the Sure (Yecch, I hate that company) 3208 modules will involve less than 100 K of flash... Do you have any idea's about a GLCD menu program? with a touch screen it will be easy to "Page" data for the menu "screens"
(Right Left Up and Down and the corners would make 9 screens of displayable data...) are probably the easiest thing to read from a touch display. There are some Nice Icons from the UTFT site, in several sizes too
I am open to any reasonable suggestions... Catchy title... Too, <BFG>

Bob
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:01:40 pm by Docedison » Logged

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Right, so two kits for DocEdison,
4 kits for LarryMcM.
Daka101, you want a bare board, or a kit?
guix, from France, bare board or a kit?

Docedison, I haven't made a '2560 breakout board, in the style of the '328 and '1284 boards I have done, one coud be put together easily.
I believe others have done so already. You could add a couple of parts to a schmartboard ($10) and have one too.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Okay, been doing some math.
Last time I ordered 2, 4 and 5 screw terminals - I got 37 2-screw termimals and 4 3-screw terminals, all nicely bagged into 2, 4, and 5 terminal bags.
By ordering another set of cards and at least 7 lots of material, I can bring the price down to $38/kit.
The savings is coming from the savings on the screw terminals  - ordering only 2-screw terminals brings the qty up a lot into the high qty savings range.

So, I'm ordering cards and 7-lots of material, you guys paypal $38/set requested to cardinalflyer @ comcast dot net, I'll send out the first 3 to whomever I get payment from first, and the rest when the boards arrive in a few weeks. 

Monterrey, N.L. México
Model Railroading & Arduino are Fun
View Profile

@CrossRoads

What are "screw terminal ears" ? Do you mean that you are going to trim (a bit), the distance of those pinholes in the PC board design so that they can interlock together? That's a lot of detail for future sales, my friend!   smiley-cool

For me, it is perfectly fine as they are now. Screw terminals don't have to be all interlocked with the tabs. At least in my application.

As I said, I have all the hardware presented in place and I will probably solder everything during the weekend.

I'm going to take some pics of my Mega 2560 as it is deployed now. Wires connected, breadboard like style, with some screw terminals loosely sitting on top of some headers. I don't like it. And I've only hooked up for 1 railroad turnout (track switch) but I have to repeat that for 21 more turnouts using the other pins. In short, ... A MESS!

I'll take another photo after I deploy your MEGA Screw Shield and we'll see how it looks! smiley-cool

Question: how can I show pics on the Forum??? I do not have a webpage of my own to specify a URL. Can I upload to the forum, just like my avatar?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:44:24 am by bibre » Logged

Billy     http://www.z-world.com/operations/gbremer/

When you've eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable, must be

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

For the screw terminals, if you connect the two sides in long string of 12 & 13, they don't quite sit quite flat on the board - so unslot them towards the middle and they are fine. At the place where they are unsnapped, I trimmed off the tabs that are supposed to go in the mating slots.

For pics - click Additional Options below, then browse to your PC location and select a file, it will be added.
Size them for ~800x600 so they are not huge when they are opened.

Monterrey, N.L. México
View Profile

I see what you mean. And thanks for the attachments explanation.

Monterrey, N.L. México
View Profile

Ok, while bibre waits for the USPS to deliver to the US Southwest

Well, assembly went fine. The kit is as good as it looks. No problems whatsoever.

I aligned all the hardware constantly checking them against the Arduino MEGA 2560. What I always do with multi-pin components such as headers, terminal blocks, IC sockets or chips is to solder 1 pin only and then check to see that the item is flat and alligned on the PC board; if not I just reheat the point pressing on the part so that it lays flat and then check again; then I solder a pin on its opposite side and check for flatness again; finally I solder the rest of the pins, checking that all points look ok and shiny.

I got a perfect fit at first try and the shield went in very smoothly while pressing a little on one side and then on the opposite side. It is now deployed and working fine on my model railroad layout.   smiley-cool

I took some pictures, before & after, which I'll post tomorrow since my Flash Card reader is at my office.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:43:37 pm by bibre » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Looking forward to that bibre!

Finally got a shot of mine posted at my website earlier.
www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

Monterrey, N.L. México
View Profile

I checked your webpage. Excellent!

I could not make it to the office today, but I'll post the pics on Monday.   smiley-red

Monterrey, N.L. México
View Profile

Sorry for the delay, I had a bad cold and I couldn't come to the office until today. Here are the pictures of my MEGA before & after the Screw Shield.

On the 'before' picture you can see that I was using some screw terminal blocks just inserted (very loosely) on top of the MEGA's headers.

At present I have only connected 3 wires to the pins (2 as INPUT red & green; 1 as OUTPUT white) in order to control 1 set of 3 train dwarf signals for a turnout (railroad switch). But I am going to use all of the pins of the MEGA (except for 0 and 1). One of the GND pins is also connected to my layout's common ground bus.

I scratchbuilt the dwarf signals by using bicolor (red/green) SMD LED's. Each dwarf signal uses one of these bi-color LED's to indicate either red, green or yellow (both red & green). I connected the 2 tiny red & green as a 'totem-pole', as follows:

+5 --> 240R --> redAnode
redCathode --> greenAnode --> control pin
greenCathode --> 240R --> ground

So, my control pin (white wire) outputs either LOW for signal red aspect, HIGH for green aspect and HI-Z for yellow aspect. Only 1 pin to control the 3 aspects of a signal for one turnout. In some cases the yellow aspect is used instead of the red one.

Besides for 1 turnout, I use 2 input pins for sensing the layout control panel pushbutton switches, one used to 'lock' the turnout (green) the other to 'throw' the turnout (red).

As you can see when over 70 wires are finally connected I'll be better out with the MEGA Screw Shield. A much neater job.

* DCP01347.JPG (104.05 KB, 640x480 - viewed 82 times.)

* DCP01349.JPG (102.82 KB, 640x480 - viewed 96 times.)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:26:09 pm by bibre » Logged

Lancaster, SC, USA
View Profile

I just signed up for the forum just to get on this thread.  Are there any more available, I am in reading overload and may have missed it?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

I have 3  bare boards on hand and 5 more on the way, shipping notification received yesterday.
First come, first served.
I have not ordered headers & screw terminals as no one has paid for a kit yet after all the discussion above and I don't particularly care to be holding all that material.
Part numbers & sources are listed above as well, or use your own source.
$12 for a board mailed to a US location. paypal to cardinalflyer @ comcast dot net

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
Jump to: