Go Down

Topic: Connecting Arduino ground to separate project ground (Read 421 times) previous topic - next topic

compuslave

I'm using a motor shield and it uses a separate power supply(12V) from the arduino's 5V. Am I suppose to tie the arduino's ground to the same ground used by my motors(the 12V supply)?
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. But, by that time you're a mile away and you got his shoes, so screw em'

eried

Yup! one common gnd for all things related if you want them to interact
My website: http://ried.cl

compuslave

Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. But, by that time you're a mile away and you got his shoes, so screw em'

Grumpy_Mike

compuslave

Aug 17, 2012, 06:40 am Last Edit: Aug 17, 2012, 07:17 am by compuslave Reason: 1
Nice, thanks for the link!

Edit: That was a good read, and something I knew I needed to get in the habit of doing. But using the motor shield I wasn't sure if I needed to since the shield handles all that, or so it seems. I have an ext_power block on the shield that I hook 12V to and it gets it to the motors. Maybe not having that ground connected had something to do with my H-bridge burning up the other day.

Go Up