Go Down

Topic: Connecting Arduino ground to separate project ground (Read 459 times) previous topic - next topic

compuslave

I'm using a motor shield and it uses a separate power supply(12V) from the arduino's 5V. Am I suppose to tie the arduino's ground to the same ground used by my motors(the 12V supply)?
Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. But, by that time you're a mile away and you got his shoes, so screw em'

eried

Yup! one common gnd for all things related if you want them to interact
My website: http://ried.cl

compuslave

Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. But, by that time you're a mile away and you got his shoes, so screw em'

compuslave

Aug 17, 2012, 06:40 am Last Edit: Aug 17, 2012, 07:17 am by compuslave Reason: 1
Nice, thanks for the link!

Edit: That was a good read, and something I knew I needed to get in the habit of doing. But using the motor shield I wasn't sure if I needed to since the shield handles all that, or so it seems. I have an ext_power block on the shield that I hook 12V to and it gets it to the motors. Maybe not having that ground connected had something to do with my H-bridge burning up the other day.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy