Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: General advice needed! Audio codec sheild or other DSP?  (Read 1233 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi there,

I have been making small synths with the atmega328 for sometime and am starting to get frustrated with the quality of sound. I can run about 5 oscs at 12 bit, 8kHz (with a lot of noise).

I have seen the MICrODEC and Audio Codec sheild here: http://www.openmusiclabs.com/projects/codec-shield/ and have a few questions...

It appears that the Codec chip used in these products is used to clock the atmega. I don't really understand why the codec is needed if the atmega is running at ~44kHz and telling the codec exactly what to do, couldn't the atmega be doing it itself?

I want to be able to make something with lots of voices and oscillators, with a high sound quality.  Further down the road, I'd like to playback samples too.  Should I just try and get into proper DSP programming or could I potentially be doing all this with my own version of something like the wavesheild / MICrODEC?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Matt

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Wow over 100 views and no replies!

Well, if anyone is interested, I just bought a dsPIC33F and a microstick II.  A little worried about the lack of support for noobs, but hopefully I'll be making quality noises soon enough.

View Profile

Great questions.  I'm curious of the answers myself.   smiley-grin

Dubai, UAE
Edison Member
View Profile

I was probably one of the 100 - as far as audio goes I am a total noob, but interested, hence I had a look but had nothing to add.

Still interested in what you are doing though so keep us updated.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

View Profile

Arduino noob here, but experienced programmer/systems engineer. I think that Arduino can do all the things the Audio Codec Shield can do, but they've done a lot of the "piddly work" for the user, added hardware connections, etc... rs

Nice, France
View Profile

You lost me at

It appears that the Codec chip used in these products is used to clock the atmega.

could you explain that part?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: