Go Down

Topic: Tips on double sided PCBs... (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

Oshpark:

"The standard 2 layer order

$5 per square inch for three copies of your design. For example, a 2 square inch board would cost $10 and you'd get three copies of your board. You can order as many copies as you want, as long as they're in multiples of three.

Orders are generally 2 to 3 times a week, and have a turn time of about 12 days. They can be ordered on OSH Park."

iteadstudio - 5cm x 5cm (3.875 in^2), double sided, solder masked, stenciled - 10 copies for $10. ~15 day delivery.

Can get a lot into 50mm x 50mm.

If you add thru hole pins
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/0552-2-15-01-11-27-10-0
can also solder from both sides.

Ground planes are always good - less copper to remove if etching at home, helps with cooling, helps with noise.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Mrjohnk

I agree that OSH Park is great and inexpensive.  I use that service often.

As for those boards created at home, you might try experimenting with some soldering paste that will go on the pad below the header before you insert the header and maybe don't squash it all the way down.  The heat from the pin, heated from the underside, may be enough to melt it and make a connection.  I've never tried it, but worth playing with to see if that will work for you.  Be sure to use some low melt point paste like R276 so it is easy to work with. 

-John

Resinator

I have been playing around making PCB's at home  for the last month or two

At the start I knew basically zero, I got eagle and put in a fair bit of time I went for the photoresist method using inkjet transparency film and after trial and error the results are amazing

Resinator

I have really enjoyed the challenge of making a double sided PCB it took a lot of work I even got the tinning crystals to give the final board more SEX appeal!

Its a motor drive and I needed a laminar bus plane to combat stray inductance

Resinator

Finally I just have to show off the outputs , two sine waves 90 degree phase shift between

I get real excited every time I see the output!, am I weird? lol

Go Up