Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Controlling DC motors  (Read 490 times)
Kennewick, WA USA
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey I was wondering how could you hook up a power source and program one of these things to go backwards and forwards and possibly give half speed?
http://www.electricscooterparts.com/motors24volt.html          one of the 24 volt 100 watt motors

more info, i have the Arduino uno and I am willing to purchase the Arduino motor shield
Thanks

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hmm, 100W means 4A at nominal load, bit too powerful for most Arduino shields I think - you need to measure the winding resistance to calculate the max current at stall (that could be up to 50A!!), then you'll need a decently capable MOSFET H-bridge motor controller that can handle those peak currents.

Also if you are running from 24V batteries select a 30V or higher controller, not 24V as charging batteries brings them up to 28V easily...

Something like the beefier controllers here perhaps:
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/94  but many other suppliers exist.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Kennewick, WA USA
View Profile

ok I'm following you for most of it. With the other beefier controller that you brought up, do those just control a single motor? I'm trying to make something that can use differential steering to drive. Any ideas?

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You'll have to look around, there will be dual motor controllers too I'm sure - single controllers are more common.  Did you measure the stall-current (ie winding resistance) of your motor then?  Or locate a datasheet?

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: