Go Down

Topic: Using an ATX power supply (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

Far-seeker

Here the circuit (hope it's readable).  The code I have to clean before sending it out. Hopefully I will find the time tomorrow, if not you have to wait till this week end.

After a quick look I think it's presented understandably, and I especially like the annotations including the voltage and current ranges for specific areas of the circuit.

jens38

Hi,

and here now the code I've used. Nothing special, just the code to put the limits either directly (UCC2915DP) or via digital pot (MAX890L). On top the sensing of the current via the LT6106 on Analog 0-2.

For sure no great art, but as I learnt by doing I have sometimes strange ways to reach the target :smiley-roll:.

Please free to comment.

Cheers

Jens
aka *frenchi*

Dell Latitude E5510
Arduino Duemilanove
Arduino Uno (2x)
Dog
Cat (2x)

tk26

That's really cool jens.

One of the main attractions for me was the fact that it'd have 12/5v out of the box, but if that's not reliable then I guess it's not much of a benefit. I was trying to avoid doing as much as I could myself, I know power can get pretty difficult and I'm somewhat of a beginner here.

Also a bit worried about the fact that I can't limit amperage, most of my devices are very low amperage, just a couple are a bit higher.

I'll run some tests on mine when it comes in, it's not a dirt cheap one but not the most expensive either.

Luckily a small ITX motherboard has become part of my project, so even if I can't use the PSU for everything else I need it anyway, so nothing wasted.

Thanks for the feedback!

jens38

Try this.
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply
jdmac
Mims, Fl

Yeah, but this is giving exactly what you should avoid: no current limitation, and with this you will produce (for sure) a lot of magic blue smoke  :smiley-roll:

Problem is that the PSU is able to deliver huge amount of current (> 30A on 5V). Imagine you have a short on your test circuit....... Better is to limit the current, or at least integrate fuses (but this was too expensive for me, considering the number of shortages I produce per day in average ]:) ).

aka *frenchi*

Dell Latitude E5510
Arduino Duemilanove
Arduino Uno (2x)
Dog
Cat (2x)

Go Up