Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How best to supply 1v output for a low impedance device  (Read 595 times)
Letchworth Garden City
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Dear Forum,
I wish to control an acousto-optic modulator MOD input which requires a variable input between 0 and 1 Volt. This input control the power output from the device. I have tried this with a National Instruments DAQ card but it doesn't supply enough current. Since I need to build something to provide more current for this low impedence device, I thought I could use an Arduino instead.

Any suggestions for either a low cost variable voltage driver that can be controlled via the arduino using logic commands, or a circuit to convert a PWM signal to a voltage but with an amplifier to provide more current.

I will need to provide 3 separate outputs for three different acousto-optic devices.

Thanks,
Nick H

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

it doesn't supply enough current.
And what is that?

Letchworth Garden City
View Profile

I am not sure exactly how much current is required. I cannot find that information in the specifications but I think that 500 mA per 0-1V output would be plenty.
NickH

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

500 mA is about battery charging current, so same design would works. Download AVR451 app. note from atmel.com, there is drawings 3-3 which shows two channel PWM - current converter based on OPA + MOSFET.  Be aware, that PWM may be not right approach, as there is low response time and low resolution 8-bit (default). External DAC may be better solution, interfaced with same OPA+MOSFET driver.   

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Do you have the specifications to hand - there might be a clue - I'd not recommend trial and error for something like this, rather expensive.  Also it doesn't sound right that a control input would need 0.5A at 1V.   Does this control input have a BNC socket perchance?  That would be a mighty big clue.

Also what are the output specs for that DAQ card?

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Letchworth Garden City
View Profile

Thanks for the various replies. I think I will use a benchtop power supply with a current readout to find out how much current is required. The PWM-op amp-mosfet idea is a nice one and I had not thought of a battery charger as a model to follow. Although the response time and sensitivity of a PWM approach is not going to be fantastic, this shouldn't be an issue because once set, it is not likely to be changed. I have a Pockels cell to control the power and that will be controlled with a DAQ device with a much faster update rate and sensitivity.

Thanks,
Nick

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Thanks for the various replies. I think I will use a benchtop power supply with a current readout to find out how much current is required. The PWM-op amp-mosfet idea is a nice one and I had not thought of a battery charger as a model to follow. Although the response time and sensitivity of a PWM approach is not going to be fantastic, this shouldn't be an issue because once set, it is not likely to be changed. I have a Pockels cell to control the power and that will be controlled with a DAQ device with a much faster update rate and sensitivity.

Thanks,
Nick

Yes, find out the actual requirements of the control signal, then the best/simplest method will be much easier to determine. Can't believe there would be a 500ma requirement for a control signal.

Lefty

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

My money is on 50 or 70 ohm BNC input.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: