Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Countdown Clock  (Read 437 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

For my first Arduino project I'd like to make a standalone clock with a digital display that can take an input date one way or another (month and day) and then displays the number of days until the specified date. I'm in a long distance relationship currently and it's a gift idea for my significant other. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Alex

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

Welcome to Arduino.

Do a search ( within arduinos search engine top right )  on "countdown days" or " days left " and so on, I am sure I have seen similar projects.
And have a look at the " time" library, I think there is a function to give the days. ( or seconds ) from y2k ( remember that abreviation ?, and all the fears it bought :-)

Try putting a sketch together, and post it (   select your actual code part of the sketch and click on the hash ( insrt code ) symbol above the text panel , this will keep the posting  shorter )  and there are thousands of guys who can help, and dont worry about silly mistakes, nobody will laugh, we all did it !

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

"we all did it !"

Ha! Many of us still do!

Write a sketch that will take in 2 dates via USB/Serial port from the IDE monitor, do the math, and drive the display. 3 digits be enough?
Do you need large digits, will small 7-segment display kind of digits do?
For example:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9764

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

"we all did it !"

Ha! Many of us still do!

DAILY!  smiley-grin

@Quadrophonic84, one suggestion, if you haven't already, break the project into pieces and conquer one at a time, then put it all together. For instance, just print the countdown to the serial monitor for starters. Might be easier than figuring out the LED hardware at the same time (although that serial display that CrossRoads linked does make things easier.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:34:10 pm by Jack Christensen » Logged

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

View Profile

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'll be digging into this over the next couple weeks. Again, thanks for your time.

-Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: