Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: A newbie with a new idea  (Read 1941 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all

I a completely new to the world of Arduinos and have no idea where to begin, initially I would like to see if this is feasible.

I would like to create a device to replace all the warning lights and switch actuators on my diesel bike:

Picture of what I would like to replace:

http://i.imgur.com/hnJga.jpg

I would like the device to have an lcd screen that displays 2 different fuel tank contents, shows the status of various sensors (most of them are on/off states), so could display icons for these. Additionally if it could display voltage and various sensors (like amperage or things) that would great as well.

Do you guys/girls think this is doable?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi,
Theoretical it is doable smiley ... technically i didn't see that some one do it before. Arduino MEGA 128/256 with 3.2" LCD will do a job, however you will need to create some other electronic circuits to get input from your sensors, and create case which will guard Arduino and LCD from vibration.

Regards,
Dubravko

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

And the flux capacitor goes where ?

The wonderful thing about lights and dials is that you do not consciously need to "read" them.  In properly designed instrument panels, dial pointers are arranged to all point in the same general direction when things are "normal".  Then, if something untoward occurs, the needle that moves becomes readily apparent.  Similarly for lights.  If you arrange for all lights to be off in normal circumstances, it is obvious when one comes on.  By this means the brain focusses on what is really essential - keeping your eyes on the road.

When you "digitise" analogue instruments your brain needs to do a little more than necessary and there is increased risk for not only the rider but also anyone else in the vicinity.

However, given good use of colours, I'm sure someone wil come up with a design that is both legible and suitable for immediate alerting without having to be read ever "second" or so.

Topsham, Vermont USA
Edison Member
... in The Woods In Vermont
View Profile

Hi, This is basically doable.. it's much like what the guys with 4 wheels are doing... Google about car instruments..

If you can build the kind of stuff shown in the photo, you definitely can learn to use this new kind of tools and capabilities!

Some good Arduino Learning material on http://arduinoinfo.info  

Arduino Power section there would be good for you also, I think.

Maybe think about what functions you can ADD to the existing gauges etc... One main thing is being able to log data and later download it to graph, etc..  Maybe put up info here/somewhere about all the sensors and actuators you have now?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:40:20 am by terryking228 » Logged

Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

Edison Member
If you're not living on the Edge, you're taking up too much space!
View Profile

Did you know there is an actual patent for something called similar to a Flux Capacitor?
Poll time:
Who thought they exist and we use them all the time for our Arduino projects?

If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Well yeah, where else would you store 1.21 gigawatts of electricity?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Saskatchewan
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
View Profile

I'm normally a big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but then clicked on your picture.  smiley-lol

Hey, at least it appears that you have functioning sending units in your fuel tanks.

I'm more curious about the bike. What is it? How did you convert it to diesel?

USA
God Member
View Profile

Did you know there is an actual patent for something called similar to a Flux Capacitor?

This is what comes of removing the "working model" requirement for patent applications... smiley-razz

Edit: Oh right, on topic...  Hmm, with an Arduino you could not only create an instrument panel, but it might be possible to setup some profiles for automatic switching between fuel types based on the tank levels.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:20:48 pm by Far-seeker » Logged

View Profile

I'm normally a big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but then clicked on your picture.  smiley-lol

Hey, at least it appears that you have functioning sending units in your fuel tanks.

I'm more curious about the bike. What is it? How did you convert it to diesel?

IT was a honda superdream 250, but it currently has a 400 cc diesel generator engine, that does around 100 mile per gallon, but the engine is still being run in!

more info on the build process and specs on the site www.fotifixes.com
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:11:43 pm by alexanderfitu » Logged

View Profile

Sorry for the late replies! I didnt realise the post has so many responses.

The am would be to use something like this lcd:

http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/LCD-Blue-I2C

What would be good, is if I could, have the display showing Fuel tank levels on the left hand side, with 3 or 4 buttons to change the tanks, and to silence an alarm possible. For those important alerts (oil pressure, oil level) I would have an actuated buzzer for 2-3 seconds for each alert.

So essentialy I would need.

2 analogue inputs for the fuel gauges
1 analogue input for the EGT gauge
1 analogue input for cylinder heat temp gauge
3 digital inputs for the oil pressure/ oil level and water in fuel lights
1 digital output the buzzer

and then I would have to figure out how to interface it with the screen and the coding aspects etc, does that sound feasible on something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arduino-UNO-R3-Latest-version-sense-and-control-the-physical-world-/280945478759?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item4169a7cc67#ht_868wt_1397

It seems quite a daunting first project :p

View Profile

I would also probably go with a lcd sheild like this one for daylight visibility and cost savings:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SainSmart-IIC-I2C-TWI-Serial-2004-20x4-LCD-Module-Shield-FOR-Arduino-UNO-MEGA-R3-/271014110026?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3f19b3234a#ht_5329wt_1163

View Profile

ACtually, im thinking this would probably be a better starting point, as If I am clever with the way the screen displays data, I wont need 4 lines (ie, selected tank gauge showing, rather than both gauges at once etc)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SainSmart-Mega2560-1602-LCD-Keypad-Shield-Kit-4-Arduino-ATMEL-ATMEGA8U2-AVR-UK-/280929984159?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item4168bb5e9f#ht_5244wt_1166

God Member
"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics" Homer J. Simpson
View Profile

Jackrae wrote
The wonderful thing about lights and dials is that you do not consciously need to "read" them.

Absolutely. You can glance at an entire wall of "oldfashioned" meters and tell at a glance if there is a problem. With digital displays you have to look at the numbers and figure out what they mean. It is the same with watches are you analogue or a digital person?

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

It is the same with watches are you analogue or a digital person?
Both. Analogue hands for the time, with a digital display for other info. I much prefer analogue speedometers in cars, over digital.

Saskatchewan
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
View Profile

My bike has a digital speedo. I like it fine.

Thanks for the link to the "project".

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: