Go Down

Topic: I'm giving away 2 MegaMini's (Read 3290 times) previous topic - next topic

Bry

I will drive an extremely large number of 10mm superbright diffused LEDs in an grid that resembles cartoon characters making an offensive gesture.  
Wait, that's old.  

OK, same concept, but set under a transparent floor panel with sonic or IR sensors to detect movement and have the grid light up when stepped on.  
Crap, Michael Jackson did it already.  Stupid Billy Jean, you were supposed to be MY lover, but you're not.

Alright, howzabout a wifi operated servo controller interface strapped to a decent dSLR camera platform, and all that mounted on a tower at the top of the tallest building in town...  DIY Spy Satellite, baby.  
I seriously have plans to do that one someday.  Maybe have it auto-track my phone's Latitude coordinates.  Register WheresBry.com and have my own reality show blog.  Yeah.

My last project suggestion would be to set up a pocked-sized detector of Carnival Folk.  That way I'd have a heads-up notice when they're around so I'm not freaked out by the small hands and smell of cabbage.  

Also, what's up, Jeff!  This weekend is no good, but we should get the band back together so I can pick your brain about the servo control stuff.  Later,
Bry

mowcius

Thanks Jeff.

Thanks for the coupon code too. I will be buying another very soon if this all works out.

I will keep everyone updated on how I get on with it.

Mowcius

--

http://www.duinoaday.co.uk
http://www.mowcius.co.uk

jerryb

I wanted to post a "Thank You" again to Jeff K for the MegaMini prize and the extras he sent which included lots of heat shrink, double row connectors, push switches, and tri-color LED.

He keep his word and shipped everything the day he got my mailing address.

Included is a photo of the items and a small model of a Saturn V
I bought for inspiration to get started on my project to use the Mega to control a RC rocket
for a education project about the USA's first Apollo moon land.

mowcius

Ooohh, nice.

Maybe mine will arrive tomorrow. I could do with some more heatshrink...

thegeekway

Mowcius, how much do you need?  Got some spare here.

mowcius

Mowcius, how much do you need?

Well by the pack that jerryb got, looks like I won't be needing any. I need it for the project that the board is for so I will be fine.
I'll buy myself a few new rolls of the stuff soon.

Mowcius

Meinaart

Do you have a cheap address for heatshrink? I think I am paying too much ;).

Jeff K

Do you have a cheap address for heatshrink?

This is the assortment pictured above... http://www.jkdevices.com/heatshrink-kit1 It woud probably be about $3 to ship

$6 for assortment + $3 for shipping = $9 total.

Not sure if this ends up being a better price for you or not.  I can also make custom assortments... just tell me what you need.
Jeff K - JKDevices.com - home of the MegaMini

Meinaart

Thanks for the offer Jeff K, will keep it in mind :). At this moment I don't need any heatshrink, was just informing in case I need some ;).

mowcius

It arrived!
Thanks a lot jeff.

Here's two pics:

I will let you know how I get on with it all.
Are the LEDs common cathode or anode that you sent me too?

The heatshrink is also a very nice pack. Good selection and a decent amount. Should keep me going for some time.

Mowcius

Jeff K

Great pics guys!

Are the LEDs common cathode or anode that you sent me too?

I am pretty sure they are common cathode. I got a few hundred of them off eBay but they had no specs so I had to guess.

mowcius

NOTE: Images are pre-production images.  Actual product will appear slightly different.  The USB orientation will be horizontal NOT vertical as shown in the picture and there will be a TX/RX LED for the USB.

Maybe as you have changed the images, you want to change this statement  ;)

Mowcius

Jeff K

you want to change this statement

Thanks for catching that... done.

mowcius

Thanks for catching that... done.

No problem, you got any further info hiding anywhere? I saw your product datasheet and the ATmega1280/2560 datasheet tells me pretty much all I need to know but I was wondering if you had written up any more info anywhere.

Probably going to solder some headers on and do some tests tonight if I get round to it.

Mowcius

Jeff K

you got any further info hiding anywhere?

I'm working on it.  I will try and have something this weekend.  Mainly a BOM and some more specs on the regulator.  I am testing different voltages and current draws to see what the regulator can handle without a heatsink.  I can say that 12 volts with nothing else hooked up gets it pretty hot.  But I don't really see too many people trying to power it with that high of a voltage.

Also there are some differences in the way the FT232 is hooked up.  Mainly the pin used for RX/TX.

I'll try and get a schematic too.  I'll have to make it from scratch because this board was designed in the PCB layout area without a schematic.  It was also designed in PCB Artist to speed up development and take advantage of some discounts at 4pcb.com.

Go Up