Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Free (almost) Solder Suckers  (Read 838 times)
Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Solder suckers... $0.51 @ Amazon, I bought 3...

Doc

Here...http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Solder-Sucker--desoldering/dp/B0002KRAAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345777210&sr=8-1&keywords=solder+suckers
and Still $0.51 Ea...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:01:11 pm by Docedison » Logged

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

link?

Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Get to Amazon and search for solder suckers... It's the first link of about 30 different items...

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0002KRAAG/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1345778387&sr=8-1&keywords=Solder+Suckers&condition=new

You gotta pay for shipping which is like $4.99

Monterrey, N.L. México
Model Railroading & Arduino are Fun
View Profile

These are $0.99 USD Free Shipping from Hong Kong:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solder-Desoldering-Desolder-Pump-Sucker-Irons-Removal-Remover-Tool-Vacuum-ast-/310422700310?pt=BI_Welding_Supplies&hash=item4846a28116

but of course, you have to wait.

Billy     http://www.z-world.com/operations/gbremer/

When you've eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable, must be

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

exactly how do solder suckers work?  I've never used them, I've always used solder wick.
Are they one time use?  If not, where does the solder go, like how does it not break the thing?

Monterrey, N.L. México
View Profile

Are they one time use?  If not, where does the solder go, like how does it not break the thing?

No, you use it repeatedly. The solder is sucked and it is collected as a thin mesh, that crumbles easily. Then you just discard it. But you sort of need 3 hands to use these gadgets.

I prefer the solder wick.    smiley-wink

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

I like solder wick my self and sometimes you need 3 hands to use it as well, the only drawback is the bad stuff is really hard on PCB's and the good stuff is expensive. Personally I like the shield braid from RG316 (teflon RG174) and that wax type rosin flux you can buy at radio shack (Part # 64-022). I strip the Kevlar jacket off and just push toe center conductor out... works great and I usually always have some scrap co-ax.
That having been said a solder sucker is a great tool Especially a Vacuum commercial type.... and Now hot air rework stations are a requirement for really serious techie work anyway.
At $0.51 Ea (Yes I have Prime so shipping is free) because at that price when they become full I can leave all that toxic lead inside of it and discard it properly... and just grab a new one. Amazon Prime is great, second day shipping is free... IMO

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--

Monterrey, N.L. México
View Profile

Amazon Prime.

Yes it is fantastic.

I usually gather up free shipping things up to $25 (qualyfing) in order to get free shipping from Amazon.

But, question, Doc, if you are on Prime, do you also get free shipping from Amazon Marketplace purchases?

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Yes the partner shipping is usually as fast as prime. I was told that the devices would be here no later than Sept. 9th... and they came in the mail today from a Wednesday order. If I buy from Amazon directly as I did with the solder suckers.When I go to an 'affiliate'store then the store rules are in force...
I never usually do that... the difference in cost (savings?) is eaten up by the shipping charges from the 'Affiliate' store and or the shipping time. My feeling is that the usual small change saved isn't worth giving up the Amazon guarantee.

Doc

--> WA7EMS <--

View Profile

Have to ask... why did you buy three of them?

USA
God Member
View Profile

In my experience, both pump solder suckers and solder wicks are effective tools to remove solder.  However, there are specific situations where one works better than the other.  For example, the suckers will remove solder faster when working on through-hole parts (once the solder around the lead is molten), but when dealing with SMD pads using wicks is the faster method.

Oh and funkyguy4000, all the solder suckers I've used have had at least one way to get the collected solder out of the sucker.  It looks like the design Doc linked to in the original post is the type where you can unscrew part of the lower cylinder to remove the old solder.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Buying Three of them... @ $0.51??? Why not? and Free ()for me) shipping too. I covered that reason rather well too I thought...  in a previous post.
When one gets full rather than having to deal with the toxic waste...
Just toss the whole thing and get a clean one...
3 are likely going to be all I will ever need as I am retired and no longer doing production electronics... So I bought 3...{Edit, Was 33} kinda like Christmas... real early.

Doc
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:03:33 pm by Docedison » Logged

--> WA7EMS <--

USA
God Member
View Profile

When one gets full rather than having to deal with the toxic waste...

What, you haven't switched to lead free solder?  I only use lead free solder on my personal projects.  Sure copper, tin, silver, and flux aren't the healthiest substances, but their are much less toxic in non-vaporeous form than lead in any physical state (of course I still have fans and such to deal with the fumes).  The higher melting temperature takes some getting used to, but I'll take that over insanity and the other possible effects of lead-poisoning any day.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Son, I have been using lead based solders for 50 years with no ill effects, I've had my blood checked several times for poisoning for Lead, Mercury and Cadmium among others and has slight levels of lead and mercury... Never toxic and never enough to do more than show up in a mass spectrometer measurement of my blood. Lead isn't nearly as toxic as you might think... for young children it's a REAL Problem a VERY Serious Neurological Issue but for a mature human it isn't much more dangerous than eating fish... (Just don't eat a lot of fish frequently_). I just don't put it or my fingers in my mouth and I wash my hands well after using it. The Dangers are really from landfills more than unit toxicity. The stuff will very slowly become chemically involved usually with a mild acid or a mild base and slowly becomes water soluble where it enters the food-chain and it will cause serious neurological damage to unformed nervous systems... Children both pre and post natal. It isn't as dangerous as it is claimed however it does require respect and some reasonable care in it's handling.. Especially from things like solder suckers as they contain oxides of lead and those are readily soluble, That's why I made the joke about discarding them when full... the dust from that type of device is somewhat more reactive then plain solder. I would be more concerned with the effects of the new family of "Organic" Fluxes... some contain phosphorus and it doesn't take much beyond the right combination of metals and contaminants to make some fairly toxic chemicals... (there are a lot of poisons made from phosphorus) a Fan is a good remedy for that though... or better a soldering hood. BE careful but not fearful of solder... and I HATE that lead free crap, every joint looks to me like a 'cold' solder joint...
IMO...
Edit: 8/26/12 Doc
Doc
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:06:14 pm by Docedison » Logged

--> WA7EMS <--

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: