Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Opensource DIY clothes dryer  (Read 7241 times)
Peoples Republic of Cantabrigia
God Member
Arduino happiness
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The mathematics are quite simple.

1) For a non-condensing dryer (i.e. one with a flue pipe)
The hotter the exhaust gas, the more you're heating the exterior vs. heating the clothes.

2) For a condensing dryer
The hotter the exhaust gas, the more you have to cool the flue gases before you can extract the latent heat.

Either dryer uses ambient air to its advantage - the condensing type may recirculate air internally but it is also running external air over the condenser HX continuously - otherwise it wouldn't condense. The non-condensing dryer derives a benefit from more ambient dry air being pumped through the machine and hence absorbing some of the moisture at the very low cost of drum rotation and blower use. In either application, the heat is the primary 'cost' of operation. So to the extent that you can maximize the heat being absorbed by the clothes vs. blowing it out to atmosphere (or into the house) you will benefit.

Odense, Denmark
View Profile

hmm... so if both drum and both airflows are driven by the same motor there is not much point in doing anything advanced...

but if i could adjust both airflows individualy there would be some benefit... ie let the internal flow be slow and the external high so that the internal is  cooled as much as possible hence is would condense more..

am i total off?

Odense, Denmark
View Profile

just been fooling arround with my simple "setup" sketch so now i can update wifi config...

have tried to figure how i could add a single cycle so that i could start it remotely, later i would add local start of the cycle...

a guy made a dishwasher controlled by arduino and its very logic to me how it runs, but how could i do it over wifi?

http://pastebin.com/0Zec1xLc

i can redo the main page no problem with that.. what i would like is at the main page i click a cycle... it should then draw a page that says what cycle its running and sensor values and target vaules... temp reading could be done with a one wire dallas chip and heat control could simply be on/off for now. for moisture sensing i found this http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CHS-GSS/445-2575-ND/931221?cur=USD it puts out 10 mv per % so 100% is 1V and it can be driven from 5V supply

so what i need is pointers on how to make a cycle... i have a mega so there should be enough pins. for now lets just say 1 pin for drum rotation and airflow. another pin for heat control. and 1 pin for moisture sensor and another pin for the dallas chip.

my dryer do reverse the drum direction every now and then for about 5 secs. i guess its to keep the clothes from going in to one big ball.. would like to keep that and guess it requires another pin

my code is taken from here, i have only added "back" links to each page

http://notebook.kulchenko.com/embedded/storing-wifi-configuration-in-eeprom-on-arduino

Odense, Denmark
View Profile

nobody able to help me stitching the code together?

Odense, Denmark
View Profile

so i tried to add 2 one wire temp probes... only trouble is figureing out how to display them and in the end make a simple cycle out of it....

i would like to have a /cycle1 page and display the 2 dallas chip temps and maybe one of the analog pins and keep it in that loop until the analog pin has a set value... i was thinking of a while statement so that i could step through the cycle...

ie first step is to heat up and keep temp with simple on/off (might make it more advanced later on)
after temp is reached step forward and target humidity while keeping the temp
next step is to shut off heat and only turn the drum once in a while (cooldown)

after cooldown return to the mainpage...

add on top that if one user starts a cycle and others wants to look in they should be directed to the cycle1 part as long its active

my sketch so far: http://pastebin.com/m1DJDjcL

Odense, Denmark
View Profile

the define section now look like this:

#define LEDPIN 13 // LED simulating heating element
#define LEDPIN 14 // LED simulating motor turning drum
#define LEDPIN 15 // LED simulating indicating drum turning reverse (used to distribute clothes)

#define ONE_WIRE_BUS 16 // Data wire from dallas chips
#define humidpin 17 // humidity sensor
#define waterpin 18 // watertank full
#define currentpin 19 // analog voltage input from current clamp
#define airflowpin 20 // analog voltage from airflow sensor

and part where i set if pin is output/input has changed to:

pinMode(13, OUTPUT); // heating element
pinMode(14, OUTPUT); // drum motor
pinMode(15, OUTPUT); // drum reverse

pinMode(16, INPUT); // DS18B20 one wire bus
pinMode(17, INPUT); // humidity sensor
pinMode(18, INPUT); // watertank full
pinMode(19, INPUT); // current clamp
pinMode(20, INPUT); // airflow

Odense, Denmark
View Profile

damm  smiley-lol

even a simple thing as jumping from one loop to another is causing trouble... ie if i write /cycle1 after the ip the code should take it to another loop i also call cycle1

the idea is to create a loop that simply displays what cycle is running and status... it should then refresh every x sec's and when done it will/should return it to the main loop

http://pastebin.com/3dT8M6AZ

on line 194 i try to jump to the cycle1 loop (line 283)...

but nothing happens... other than that the code works

some able to help me?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:29:15 am by boelle » Logged

Odense, Denmark
View Profile

made a menu and place where target values can be entered... settings form just there still need to figure how to store settings... in danish thou but you should be able to understand or else just ask:

http://pastebin.com/Wwut1iJD

Odense, Denmark
View Profile

anybody that can give a hint on how to store a table cell in eeprom?

reading is easy enough, just do do eprom read in to a variable and then set the cell value to that or am i mistaken?

then change whatever cells needed and hit save....

been look at this on/off for weeks but not sure, many examples use for next loop etc and i cant figure it

EDIT: my table starts at line 410 in the above paste bin, what i would like is a SIMPLE example on how to store the cell c1temp
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:52:09 am by boelle » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: