Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Trying to use stand alone FT232RL not working (w/ 328)  (Read 1745 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am trying to use a breakout FT232RL (This one to be exact http://www.gravitech.us/ftusbtouabrb.html), however all I get is programmer not responding, I have rX and TX  hooked up properly, DTR to reset with cap (I don't have a 0.1uf but I have tried various caps), I have tried manually resetting at the right time, and it always comes out saying Programmer not Responding.  I know the chip has a bootloader (blinks 3 times rapidly when reset), and I can put a sketch to it easily with ArduinoISP but I just cannot get it to take a sketch using this breakout board, anyone have any ideas?

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I have rX and TX  hooked up properly,

How did you determine that?

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

RX of breakout is to TX of chip, and TX to RX, plus I tried them backwards too just to be sure...

Sweden
View Profile

RX of breakout is to TX of chip, and TX to RX, plus I tried them backwards too just to be sure...

RX to TX is correct way! How did you connect the power to the chip? Will you please put up a schematic of your connections! The cap capacity does matter but I've tried caps from 470pF to 100nF and they all seem to work. Which caps did you try out?

California
God Member
View Profile

Why not just put a bootloader of your choosing on with the Arduino as ISP?  Then you know what you have...

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Did you connect the CTS input on the FTDI breakout to Gnd also?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Did you connect the CTS input on the FTDI breakout to Gnd also?
No, I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere to do so I will try it.  I tried various caps from 1nf to 1uf, though I picked up some .1's at radioshack today so I will try that on the DTR.

As far as power goes I am just powering up using the USB power (the breakout board has some power conditioning built in)

View Profile

I just tried, still not responding!  I am running out of ideas... maybe the FT232RL eeprom needs to be programmed differently to work with the optiboot?

California
God Member
View Profile

I just tried, still not responding!  I am running out of ideas... maybe the FT232RL eeprom needs to be programmed differently to work with the optiboot?

I have quite a few FT232RLs (Not the Breakout though) and the only thing to change is the board to Uno.  The breadboard Arduino project uses a FTDI Breakout and the only connections are Vcc/Gnd/Rx/Tx which is all that I use.

View Profile

Pretty much identical to what I have, nothing is working or happening though, using ArduinoISP will upload a sketch without a hitch, optiloader will put a bootloader on it without a hitch, but trying to communicate with it on this FT232RL just will not... I even tried putting a sketch with serial communications to see if i could atleast serial monitor it, but nope.

California
God Member
View Profile

Does the Tx LED blink three times when the sketch is attempting the upload?  Maybe uninstall and reinstall the FTDI driver?

View Profile

Pin 13 blinks 3 times rapidly (so reset works and bootloader is there), the tx light on the ftdi board blinks a few times but no rx activity.

California
God Member
View Profile

Try this for my curiosity, upload a sketch and press and hold the reset on the target and watch the Tx LED for two flashes and then immediately release the switch.

View Profile

Tried it, I see nothing different going on.

California
God Member
View Profile

Try getting the verbose output of the sketch from the IDE and post that.  The only other thing would to try burning the Duemilanove bootloader and see if it will upload then.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: