Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Interest in overhauling the IDE user interface?  (Read 18392 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I don't understand what you mean by 'screen of custard'.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

when you try and select just a line or two of text, and suddenly you get a load of yellow lines selected -  perhaps its one of my settings ?

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Nah - just heavy-handednes on the mouse  smiley-mr-green

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

could you post a picture of what you mean? Is it just that text is hard to read with a yellow selection?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

What he means is that's way too easy to highlight a whole lot of text when only a couple lines were desired.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

Yes, it my be my slow reactons, but ofen I end up with a whole yellow page...

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Me too, its not just you. Can't have a twitchy hand.

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

Me too, its not just you. Can't have a twitchy hand.

Ohhh I see the issue too! never noticed because I never select with the mouse. I will check if there is some delay I can add so selection is more precise.

My website: http://ried.cl

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

I'm usually working at  home on my Sony Vaio laptop with touchpad, have learned to sort of roll a finger along vs trying to slide.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

Thats a relief that it wasnt just me imagining the custard screen :-)

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm digging into the Arduino IDE codebase now. It's not too complicated but it really seems like a mess. Basic compilation is done in a fairly convoluted way. There are a whole lot of references to compiling Java code.  Is there a reason for this? I'm guessing there is a lot of history in this codebase, so I'm weighing fixing it vs replacing it.  So far I have built a straightforward class that can successfully compile a sketch to a hex file. Adding support for alternate cores, multiple libs, and the other stuff should be fairly easy.

On the GUI, I've done some more prototyping. I'm trying to decide between using Swing or JavaFX.  JavaFX is the future of desktop Java and a lot prettier. Unfortunately it doesn't have a robust text editor, so doing things like Syntax Highlighting won't be possible for a while.  If I go with Swing then I can put something together very fast that will look decent, but it won't have access to the new JavaFX features.  In particular, it won't have access to the nice WebView.  I was really hoping to use the WebView for inline help / docs.  Thoughts? Does anyone care what it's written in?

- J

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

WebView for inline help / docs
Does that mean you have to be online to get docs or can it get files locally?

I'm all for using the newer JavaFX if it's better but personally I hate being forced to go online for documentation.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Arduino rocks
View Profile

The docs would be local still, but using HTML would give us very nice formatting.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

That's OK then.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

There are a whole lot of references to compiling Java code.  Is there a reason for this?
This is because the Arduino IDE is based on "Processing" ( http://Processing.org ), a "simplified"  programming system for the desktop.  Processing has similar principles, but creates "mostly java" code, where Arduino (or "Wiring") generates mostly C++ code.  The pieces of the IDE that would have compiled and run the Java "sketches" of Processing are replaced with pieces that preprocess, compile, and upload, the avr-gcc code of Arduino.

PS: a questioned "to be answered" is whether modifications to the Arduino IDE will be accepted at all, or whether it's more efficient to stay in sync with the Processing project...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:34:45 pm by westfw » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Jump to: