Go Down

Topic: Interest in overhauling the IDE user interface? (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic

Josh Marinacci

I think formatting prefs is getting too in depth for this new IDE. I'm really targeting the new to intermediate developer. If you are a hard core user who wants to fully customize your development experience you should probably switch to a standard IDE like Eclipse.

Attached is the latest screenshot.  You can now open, edit, and save a sketch as well as compile and download it to a Diecimila (it's hard coded to the particular board I happen to have on my desk).  I've put the first code drop into a new repo on git hub here. Note that it's probably still not compilable by anyone but me, but you can poke around if you feel like it.

https://github.com/joshmarinacci/arduinox

In addition to the download feature it now has a standard font bundled in it (Ubuntu Monospace). The sidebar you see on the right is where the help text will go.  This *is* html loaded locally, but it is using Swing's text support which is a small subset of CSS 2. Still, it should be enough for nicely formatted help text.

Again the look and feel can be ignored for now. I want to focus on layout and features first, then worry about having a good color scheme, fonts, icons, etc.

So far the feature list is:

* create/open/save/download a sketch with minimum configuration
* intelligently save prefs for font size, window position, loaded tabs, USB port, etc.
* improve the layout, text editor, and tab system
* improve keybindings and other platform specific UX

What else should we have? 

* I really hate the current way you choose serial ports. Is there any way to know what device is connected to a serial port? Can't we detect if the arduino is an Uno vs Leo vs Decimila instead of having to ask the user?  I also hate having to use the /dev/usb blah blah names. On mac each port is listed twice and the bluetooth devices are listed, which is nonsense.

* Is there a better way to interact with examples?  What about common code snippets for novice users to use?

* code visualization? List the pins you are using?  Show a photo of your arduino board indicating the pins you are using.

Dream big folks!

- Josh

Graynomad

Re the help. Can you have a hot key (F2?) to bring up the help for a function? Either based on where the mouse/cursor is or maybe you have to highlight the function.

Word boundaries. Currently the IDE uses inappropriate characters as word boundaries, for example

int in_Byte = Serial1.read();

If I double click on in_Byte because I want to copy it I only get "in" or "Byte", depending on where I click. In a programming language this should be considered a single word.

So either allow the setup of word boundary chars or just exclude some common ones like _.

This also applies to ^arrowing, if I ^ left arrow I want the cursor to skip the entire in_Byte, currently it's 3 key strokes to get over the var name.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

eried

Re the help. Can you have a hot key (F2?) to bring up the help for a function? Either based on where the mouse/cursor is or maybe you have to highlight the function.

Word boundaries. Currently the IDE uses inappropriate characters as word boundaries, for example

int in_Byte = Serial1.read();

If I double click on in_Byte because I want to copy it I only get "in" or "Byte", depending on where I click. In a programming language this should be considered a single word.

So either allow the setup of word boundary chars or just exclude some common ones like _.

This also applies to ^arrowing, if I ^ left arrow I want the cursor to skip the entire in_Byte, currently it's 3 key strokes to get over the var name.

______
Rob

Current ide select whole var when I double click vars with "aaa_aaa" :O and CTRL+Shift+F opens the reference
My website: http://ried.cl

Graynomad

Current ide select whole var when I double click vars with "aaa_aaa"  :O and CTRL+Shift+F opens the reference

Not for me, but I'm using 1.0.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

westfw

* I really hate the current way you choose serial ports. Is there any way to know what device is connected to a serial port? Can't we detect if the arduino is an Uno vs Leo vs Decimila instead of having to ask the user?  I also hate having to use the /dev/usb blah blah names.

This depends on whether java can access usb and/or registry-related system calls.  You can theoretically get the usb device information associated with a serial port, and figure out whether they are likely to be Arduinos, and if so which type of arduino.  (although, I wouldn't rely on this entirely, since it's common practice to use somewhat random usb/serial converter chips/cables/etc as a cost-saving scheme.)
There's an example (for windows, where things are worse) at https://github.com/WestfW/ArduScan
The double-listing on Mac's is Apple's fault; can you really guarantee that /dev/tty.usbserial-xxx and /dev/cu.usbserial-xxxx are the same piece of hardware?

Could you answer my earlier question about Swing vs local editing styles?  I'm genuinely curious...

You're missing the existing keyword-based highlighting of Arduino Functions (digitalWrite(), etc)), and I disapprove of the reduction of information in the compiler interaction part of the display.  "we" have been trying to get more information there (RAM usage in addition to flash usage, in particular.)

Listing pin usage would be interesting.  Sort of baby-steps to actual simulation at some point...

Go Up