Go Down

Topic: Interest in overhauling the IDE user interface? (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic

westfw

I was hoping there was a way to open the serial port and get some info from the board itself. No?

Maybe.  But you MUST NOT do so.  Active probing of serial ports is a really bad idea, because you don't know what might be connected.  Also, for certain types of serial port (bluetooth, tcp, zigbee, etc) merely opening the serial port may take a significant amount of time.  Even on actual Arduinos, opening the serial port can/will cause a board-level reset...

Boffin1

"I've decided to move away from the Processing IDE base. Ultimately Arduino needs it's own IDE."

Can you make it work for the STM8S-Discovery board too ?  I have a box of them in a cupboard, but only know a smattering of Ardunio programming :-)
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

westfw

Can you make it work for the STM8S-Discovery board too ?

1) That's not an "IDE User Interface" improvement.
2) It'd be very difficult, since STM8S doesn't have a gcc port.

Boffin1

Its a shame the STM8S  didn't have a user group like Arduino.

I bought in a box of them a few years back for an aborted project ( someone else was doing the software )

Then I found Arduino, and as they say, the rest is history  (  mystery sometimes :-) )
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

westfw

Its a shame the STM8S  didn't have a user group like Arduino.

Oh yes; there are any number of pieces of hardware that theoretically had very similar features to Arduino, and trying to figure out why they failed to get much of a following, while arduino DID, is quite philosophically challenging.  One supposes that despite the complaints on various fronts, the Arduino folk must be doing something right.

Go Up