Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Author Topic: So why are there no good electronics shops?  (Read 4851 times)
Peoples Republic of Cantabrigia
God Member
Arduino happiness
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Not sure I agree that Mythbusters would belong in the pantheon of shows celebrating engineering or the sciences.

Sure, they like to blow lots of things up, etc. illustrating some principles of velocity/reaction/etc. along the way but it's pretty repetitive in my book. Perhaps because of the show's premise.

Shows that celebrate engineering marvels in depth (like the modern electrical grid, the internet, even modern bridges) are rare indeed.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

But it is shows like Mythbusters, which bring some fun into science, that might be the key to getting the kids off the Iphone and trying some experimenting ?

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

"I can't believe they are paying me to play this game I would play for free".
I used to feel exactly the same, of course I never said that to my various employers smiley If you can say that about your vocation you are one lucky person.

I'd get home, grab a beer and go straight down to my workshop to continue doing the same work, only on my own projects.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

But it is shows like Mythbusters, which bring some fun into science, that might be the key to getting the kids off the Iphone and trying some experimenting ?
I agree on that. But Mythbusters is an entry level program. It never really explains the theory. There is no learning curve. To achieve learning there should be some in depth programs as well.
Now I think about it; I think it is nice to compare it with Arduino. Just like Arduino, the Mythbusters show is a great kickstart. But the show is sticking to arduino and shields. Once you have seen some arduino with shields and understand it there is no more learning with this formula. There should be some "how to build a shield/Arduino" or "do it without Arduino" program.
And -as to Constantin- these programs, unfortunately do not exist. (I don't have television  smiley-twist )
Best regards
Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

"I agree on that. But Mythbusters is an entry level program. It never really explains the theory."

This is what the value of such TV shows is ( hang on , you don't have a TV ?   :-) )

All the theory any kid could want, can be Googled.

What is the attraction of that, over say them playing with Facebook or BBM ?

All new ideas ( even if they turn out to be old hat ) need to be experimented with - which to me is the best part.

Shows like Mythbusters show how to set up an experiment, they don't go into elaborate detail, ( they have to entertain too )  but show for example how you need a control sample, and how to monitor external influences.

If they can get the kids to think and experiment, thats wonderful !

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Jump to: