Go Down

Topic: I2C between 8MHZ & 16 MHz arduinos (Read 839 times) previous topic - next topic

magnethead794

Sep 01, 2012, 04:47 am Last Edit: Sep 01, 2012, 04:54 am by magnethead794 Reason: 1
Any issues with doing it? Just wondering. Need to link a FIO and a mega over I2C.
Yes I know level conversion will be needed.

(the other end of the xBee link is a FIO & teensy2.0++ pairing..same deal there)
KF5RVR

frank26080115

there shouldn't be any issues

level conversion will not be needed, just disable internal pull-up resistors and use external pull-up resistors that "pull" to 3.3V
Freelance engineer, consultant, contractor. Graduated from UW in 2013.

magnethead794

there shouldn't be any issues

level conversion will not be needed, just disable internal pull-up resistors and use external pull-up resistors that "pull" to 3.3V

So the 5V signals coming from the 5V board won't overdrive the 3V3 pins?
KF5RVR

James C4S

That's why you use external pull-up resistors.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

magnethead794

That's why you use external pull-up resistors.

Doesn't make sense to me, but I'll go with it.
KF5RVR

James C4S

Research "open collector".

The I2C pins are open-collector.  They need to be pulled-up so if you external resistors and pull them up to 3.3V they become 3.3V pins.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

magnethead794

Research "open collector".

The I2C pins are open-collector.  They need to be pulled-up so if you external resistors and pull them up to 3.3V they become 3.3V pins.

works for me.
KF5RVR

Go Up