Go Down

Topic: What is the most expensive board you ever smoked? (Read 5879 times) previous topic - next topic

@ Grumpy Mike  " Only blew two parts but one was a BGA device. "

then you find out how good you are with a solder sucker and wick ?

As the solder points are underneath on a BGA packaged device, a solder sucker and wick would not be of any use.

"a solder sucker and wick would not be of any use."

Just my attempt at humour :-)

hot air and a good tap against the desk would fix that (hehe)

EPROM and system board in an old Telxon data collection terminal. We connected it to a DEC mini/mainframe (1989-ish) with RS232. One of the pins was high voltage from the DEC and smoked the entire Telxon unit. Left a black mark on the DEC case where the unit was sitting. When we were connecting it I was joking around saying "if you guys have a fire extinguisher around you might want it close by".....

Last time I used that joke.

I didn't do this, but I worked for a while building CNC plasma cutting machines. The plasma power supplies came in and we were supposed to check the voltage settings. One of the supervisors was setting a new set of plasma supplies up and hooked a supply that was wired for 220 to 440. It didn't last very long...

I once flashed an $1,500 motherboard back in 2000.. although not smoked, not turning on either lol

Back in the BA  ( before Arduino ) days,  I made a prototype washing machine timer with about 6 CMOS chips, to replace the clockwork one that was packing up in a popular machine.
My partnet waited for me to finish, as he had to drive 1000 Km to the factory for them to test it.
After I had it working I sealed it in white silicone so they couldnt copy it.
I didnt let it set enough I think, and when I did a final test, the silicone lit up with a brief white flash.
I built up another, and my partner drove through the night to get it there.
They approved it and we were busy with the megabucks agreement over 3 years, when they went bust :-(

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131