Go Down

Topic: What is the most expensive board you ever smoked? (Read 4761 times) previous topic - next topic

retrolefty

@ Grumpy Mike  " Only blew two parts but one was a BGA device. "

then you find out how good you are with a solder sucker and wick ?

As the solder points are underneath on a BGA packaged device, a solder sucker and wick would not be of any use.

Lefty

Boffin1

"a solder sucker and wick would not be of any use."

Just my attempt at humour :-)
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Osgeld

hot air and a good tap against the desk would fix that (hehe)
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

rfbase

EPROM and system board in an old Telxon data collection terminal. We connected it to a DEC mini/mainframe (1989-ish) with RS232. One of the pins was high voltage from the DEC and smoked the entire Telxon unit. Left a black mark on the DEC case where the unit was sitting. When we were connecting it I was joking around saying "if you guys have a fire extinguisher around you might want it close by".....

Last time I used that joke.

kf2qd

I didn't do this, but I worked for a while building CNC plasma cutting machines. The plasma power supplies came in and we were supposed to check the voltage settings. One of the supervisors was setting a new set of plasma supplies up and hooked a supply that was wired for 220 to 440. It didn't last very long...

cjdelphi

I once flashed an $1,500 motherboard back in 2000.. although not smoked, not turning on either lol

Boffin1

Back in the BA  ( before Arduino ) days,  I made a prototype washing machine timer with about 6 CMOS chips, to replace the clockwork one that was packing up in a popular machine.
My partnet waited for me to finish, as he had to drive 1000 Km to the factory for them to test it.
After I had it working I sealed it in white silicone so they couldnt copy it.
I didnt let it set enough I think, and when I did a final test, the silicone lit up with a brief white flash.
I built up another, and my partner drove through the night to get it there.
They approved it and we were busy with the megabucks agreement over 3 years, when they went bust :-(
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Go Up