Go Down

Topic: Response redundance from serial ! (Read 569 times) previous topic - next topic

Oxirane

Hi everybody,

I wrote a simple sketch, an ask-for-the-num game ( you have to find out the num randomly choosen by Arduino ); the player enters his proposals through serial.

Code: [Select]
int mystere;//GLOBALE CAR INITIALISÉE DANS SETUP ET UTILISÉE DANS LOOP

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600) ;
randomSeed(analogRead(5)); //initialisation générateur "aléatoire"
       mystere = int(random(1,101)) ; //tirage d'un entier entre 0 et 100 NON INCLUS

}

void loop() {

int proposition ;

while ( Serial.available() == 0) {  //boucle qui attend que la liaison série ne soit pas vide
}

proposition = Serial.parseInt() ; //récupération du nombre proposé par le joueur

//évaluation de la réponse

if ( proposition > mystere ) {
Serial.print(proposition);
Serial.println( " : Trop grand !") ;
}

else if ( proposition < mystere ) {
Serial.print(proposition);
Serial.println(" : Trop petit !") ;
}

else if ( proposition == mystere ) {     // OU : else { } suffit !!
Serial.println("Gagné !") ;
}

}

The sketch works, except it returns two sentences ( it's designed to write back only one... ) :
- the reply to the player according to his proposal ( "Too high", "too low", "won !! " )
- another reply, always the same, as if the player enters the "0" number...

( see attached picture )

I tried to temporize the sketch, suspecting unsuitable timing...but no success !

Any advice ?

Thanks !!

Chris

PaulS

Sep 02, 2012, 05:17 pm Last Edit: Sep 02, 2012, 05:18 pm by PaulS Reason: 1
Code: [Select]
       mystere = int(random(1,101)) ; //tirage d'un entier entre 0 et 100 NON INCLUS
Your comment is wrong. The random() function, with those arguments does not return a value between 0 and 100.

What is sending data to the Arduino? If it is the Serial Monitor, what line ending setting (lower, right corner) are you using?

Edit: Never mind. I looked at your picture. It appears that the Serial Monitor is adding a carriage return to the string entered. Change that to nothing appended to the string to get rid of the duplicate response.

johnwasser

If you are sending lines from a Windows machine they may end in CRLF ("/r/n"). Serial.parseInt() may see that as two line endings.  The second line ending would be for an empty line so the numerical value would always be zero.

I don't see any easy way to fix the problem.  If you always throw away a character after parseInt() it will fail a different way with a non-Windows host.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Oxirane

Sep 02, 2012, 05:30 pm Last Edit: Sep 02, 2012, 05:38 pm by Oxirane Reason: 1
Edit: Never mind. I looked at your picture. It appears that the Serial Monitor is adding a carriage return to the string entered. Change that to nothing appended to the string to get rid of the duplicate response.

That was it !! Shame on me, I could have find it by myself with a little care :-((

Thank you very much for pointing it !

But what do you mean by "my comment is wrong ?"

EDIT : never mind, I found it ( heedless again   :smiley-roll-sweat: ); the num range is 1 -100 INCLUDED, not 0-100 ....

Thanks again !

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy