Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: atmega1284p/pu  (Read 5376 times)
Leeds, UK
Edison Member
Once the magic blue smoke is released, it won't go back in!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

If you have an arduino Uno, can I make the suggestion that you put a wire between the Reset pin and Gnd of the power header. Then connect the TX pin (D1) to the TX1 of the atmega1284, and the RX pin (D0) to RX1 of the atmega1284.
That should allow you to remove your RS232 converter from the possible list of problems by using the converter built into the arduino board.

~Tom~

View Profile

after all it's working  smiley-lol. the problem wor with max232. i have made ft232rl circuit and now it works. im using optiboot but it's using rx0 and tx0, weird. anyway i wanna thank for your help. it shouldn't be done without you, thanks.

United Kingdom
"ohhh here we go again !"
View Profile

I've been using the atmega1284 without issue (you like I did got the atmega1284-PU, not the atmega1284P-PU - Note that the PU specifies a DIP package and is nothing to do with the device).

All I had to do is to find the definition for ATmega1284P (just using CTRL-F), and change the signature to:

signature        = 0x1e 0x97 0x06;

Then I used the IDE to burn a version of optiboot bootloader compiled for the mega1284p

Then once the bootloader was burned I changed the signature back to:
    signature        = 0x1e 0x97 0x05;

It works a treat for me.

If you let me know what clock frequency you plan to use, I will compile an optiboot hex file for you. Note that the version I modified uses UART1 for programming.

Hi Tom, please please please could you help me with getting this bootloader onto my Atmega1284P-PU chips, i have 2 of them also and have been trying my very very best to figure out how to do this for the last 2 weeks but after failure after failure i really could do with your help!

I have the Atmega1284P-PU microcontroller, i had downloaded loads of different hex files, optiboot files and now im so confused, lost and disheartened by all these failures of mine.

Ive been using the Arduino as ISP sketch uploaded to a Breadboard RBBB and trying to burn any Sanguino-Type bootloader onto the Atmega1284P-PU with absolutely no results, please could you put out a quick step by step list of what needs to be done in order to burn a bootloader to this microcontroller, i really feel like ive lost the war over here, please please could you help. a Great-Many thanks in advance,

kindest regards,

Anil Sethi Jnr

Si Vis Pacem, Para bellum
   Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus's

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Try this bootloader, should allow serial downloads on Serial 0 afterwards.

It's the one I put on my cards when I build one up with a '1284P; for example, installing bootloader from Atmek AVR ISP MKii with FTDI 5V Basic providing power, and then downloading a sketch.

Here's the boards.txt entry that goes with it
Code:
bobuino.name=Bobuino
bobuino.upload.protocol=arduino
bobuino.upload.maximum_size=130048
bobuino.upload.speed=115200
bobuino.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
bobuino.bootloader.high_fuses=0xde
bobuino.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xfd
bobuino.bootloader.path=optiboot
bobuino.bootloader.file=optiboot_atmega1284p.hex
bobuino.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
bobuino.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
bobuino.build.mcu=atmega1284p
bobuino.build.f_cpu=16000000L
#bobuino.build.core=arduino:arduino
bobuino.build.core=standard
bobuino.build.variant=bobuino

This pins_arduino.h file goes in the arduino-1.0.x/hardware/mighty-1284p/variants/bobuino  folder.
Should already be there if you've installed the mighty1284 files that maniacbug put together
https://github.com/maniacbug/mighty-1284p

* optiboot_atmega1284p.hex (1.47 KB - downloaded 7 times.)

* Bootload-sketch-connections.jpg (103.92 KB, 806x910 - viewed 18 times.)
* pins_arduino.h (6.08 KB - downloaded 12 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

United Kingdom
"ohhh here we go again !"
View Profile

!!! DUDE !!!

Thank you so very very Very VERY MUCH !!!!!

Honestly speaking, i think i was about to break down and cry my eyes-out, lol !!!

Got the mighty-1284p bootloader with 16 Mhz crystal bootloaded and got the blink sketch blinking away and uploaded the sketch via TX0/RX0 (UART 0) !!!

smiley-cool Your an absolute LEGEND !!!! !!!! !!!!  smiley-cool

Ive burned a good load of Atmega328P-PU's so kinda knew what i was doing but this Atmega1284 is a whole new type of animal, lol !

I really cant thank you enough ~ !!!

Si Vis Pacem, Para bellum
   Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus's

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Glad to help.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: