Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: AVRISP MKII AVRDUDE Can't find USB  (Read 9090 times)
Kingsport, TN
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

My layout is good, no crossed wires. I have a second populated board that I have not programmed yet. I'll power it up and make sure that pin isn't high before programming. I'll also check all the other pins and see what's going on.

Again, just to verify: Since I'm compiling in IDE it doesn't matter that I'm using libraries in my code formulated for IDE/arduino. Once it's in .hex, it's all the same...
I know maybe these are silly questions, but I'm a mechE, so I'm struggling to understand what the issues are here.

Thanks for the help! my inlaws have an XP computer. I may see if IDE agrees any better with the MKII on that.

Thanks!

Kingsport, TN
View Profile

UPDATE:

Progress! I finally got access to an xp computer. got ide installed and the libusb0.dll driver for the MKII. It did exactly the same thing as with AVR studio. I wrote a simple blink code and wha-do-ya-know...it worked!

At this point I have determined that there is a problem somehow with the lcd screen. I checked that all my pin assignments are correct. It will initialize with no problem and give me a cursor. I can even move that cursor anywhere I want. I can turn the back light on and off. However when I try to print to it, it does essentially nothing. If I tell it to print any single character (that I've tried) it prints a bunch of spaces followed by "45" followed by more spaces. It's late, I have to go to bed. but if anyone has ideas as to what the problem might be, please let me know, thanks! Goodnight world.

Kingsport, TN
View Profile

Interesting. It prints numbers correctly if I give it the correct base input. So somehow it's just not handling the strings I'm trying to feed it properly...hmmmm.....

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

It prints numbers correctly if I give it the correct base input.
Specifying the correct base is usually a prerequisite for proper behavior.

So somehow it's just not handling the strings I'm trying to feed it properly.
What isn't? What strings?

At this point I have determined that there is a problem somehow with the lcd screen.
Which LCD is that? How is it connected?

Kingsport, TN
View Profile

newhaven COG character display. 2x16. I am using the doglcd libraries. print command is supposed to accept a variety of character inputs. strings, char*, etc. without sepecification. I am simply feeding it this:

lcd.print("hello world!");

and it is not dealing with it properly.

I do not know what you mean by "how is it connected". would you like a diagram? It is mounted on a custom pcb which essentially acts like a 3.3v arduino mini with atmega168. it uses pins: (8, 7, 5, 6, A3, A4) as I recall. initializes properly with those pins. If you are wondering if it's a connection issue, it is rather unlikely. possible that I crossed a wire on the board, but the population is professionally done by a lady that does custom boards for the military. Most likely the problem lies elsewhere. I can post schematic and brd layout if anyone is interested in looking at them.

Thanks!

Kingsport, TN
View Profile

Since question has become more one of dispay issues, I have started a new topic here:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,125470.0.html

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: