Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Teensy 3.0  (Read 29171 times)
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The Teensy 3.0 I ordered is on its way. In the meantime I have some questions.

- is there a forum for the Teensy 3.0 or is this thread the best place to ask questions?
- I notice in the Beta5 IDE Tools menu that you can choose one of three CPU speeds - e.g. to overclock at 96MHz. Is this selection all you need to do or do you also have to make some sort of hardware change?
- I'd like to play around with the ARM's DSP instructions. Is there any support to allow use of them in a sketch or do I have to get my hands dirty with assembler?

Thanks
Pete

Where are the Nick Gammons of yesteryear?

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

there is a huge difference in performance between SD cards

Have you seen the conversation about many formatting utilities not formatting SD cards "correctly" ?

http://www.adafruit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20861&start=0

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Sadly, the Raspberry Pi has a bootloader bug that makes it incompatible with some cards.

Somewhat off topic, but just FWIW, the R-Pi has been reported to show about 20 MB/sec both reading and writing to a "SanDisk Extreme SDHC  4GB class 10" according to http://elinux.org/RPi_Performance#SD_card  
Somewhere around June/July 2012 there were some bug-fixes to the SD card I/O routine firmware in the R-Pi, which improved compatibility with several different types of cards.  Most cards perform slower than the above example.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

- I notice in the Beta5 IDE Tools menu that you can choose one of three CPU speeds - e.g. to overclock at 96MHz. Is this selection all you need to do or do you also have to make some sort of hardware change?

My experiments indicate that the menu selection alone does in fact change the clock speed, nothing else required. See for example http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4606#p45080

Edison Member
View Profile

Thanks very much John.

Pete

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The main difference is that industrial cards use SLC flash and consumer cards use MLC flash.

SLC flash tends to perform better in embedded applications.  For example wear leveling remaps occurs more frequently for MLC flash since each cell has a lower maximum number of write cycles.

A comment on bus speed. 

The Teensy uses 1-bit wide SPI at 24 MHz.

Common Version 2.0 SD and SDHC cards support the 4-bit SD bus at 50 MHz.  This is about eight times the bandwidth that Teensy has.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:03:03 pm by fat16lib » Logged

View Profile

fat16lib  , integration of the chibios to the teensy sounds very interesting. Thanks for the work.

How compatible do you think it will be with other arduino libraries ? And what's the estimated latency, generally speaking ?

View Profile

fat16lib  , another  question:

How compatible is the chibios library to standard arduinos(atmega 328/1280/2560) ?  and what's the latency ?

Nice, France
View Profile

It arrived this afternoon, along with a Teensy 2.0 which I briefly tried and will use as a USB MIDI output for my controller project. Have not yet tried the 3.0, about to do that now.

embedded
View Profile

Hi!

I successfully connected teensy 3.0 to the WIZ812 Adaptor Kit (edit: via breadboard, of course) and WIZ812 Ethernet Module!

I can use DHCP and ran several of the server examples.

There's a problem for now, and I'm still looking into it, but if somebody else has something to add, it would be good!

The problem is that it can't connect to websites, as in DnsWebClient. I don't know yet if it's not resolving the DNS or if it's another issue...

here's my results:

localIP: 192.168.1.113
subnetMask: 255.255.255.0
gatewayIP: 192.168.1.1
dnsServerIP: 200.162.196.29
connecting...

UPDATE: It's not resolving DNS names, I used IPAddress serverName2(74,125, 234, 243) for google and it went through! I'll check my DNS server now...

UPDATE 2: It was my DNS server (but it works on my win7 machine...) Now I'm using openDNS and it works...

localIP: 192.168.1.113
subnetMask: 255.255.255.0
gatewayIP: 192.168.1.1
dnsServerIP: 208.67.222.222
connecting...
connected
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:11:45 am by MauJabur » Logged

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

I have this SD card breakout board in the color red. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/544

I want to hook it to the Teensy 3.0, I think I can hook it directly to the SPI pins without any added resistors or such. Can anyone tell me if that is correct or if I need additional parts?

Thanks,
Mark

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes you can connect it directly.

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

Yes you can connect it directly.

Thanks, I will report hopefully tomorrow on my results!

Edison Member
View Profile

I tried a benchmark of my own using a function which computes the bearing between two locations specified as lat/long. It produces essentially the same kind of timing as seen before.
In summary, compared to a Duemilanove (=2009) the result of calling the function 10000 times is:
2009 @ 16MHz 12.57secs
T3    @ 48MHz   8.30 secs
T3    @ 96MHz   7.82 secs

The interesting thing I noted was the difference in the size of the code.
The Duemilanove code is 4764 bytes whereas the T3 code is 19984 bytes! I presume that the T3 is hauling in different libraries but it seems to be a bit excessive. OTOH it is 19984 bytes of a 131,072 byte maximum so there's plenty of room to spare :-)

Pete

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I tried a benchmark of my own using a function which computes the bearing between two locations specified as lat/long.

Using float or double?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Jump to: