Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Super Bright Red Led - BC547B Transistor, but which Resistors?  (Read 2890 times)
Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

:-p

Too bad I don't have those. But I will see if the local shop carries it... (doubt it)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

You can use ULN2803 as buffer on 74HC595.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

Sounds interesting, but how can I do that? Do you mind teaching me, pretty please? ;-) ;-)

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

Can't I just use 2 x ULN2803 chips and 8 pins on the Arduino? (I don't need many free pins, only 4 for a multiplexer, and 2 for UART)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I thought you wanted 16 non-multiplexed LEDs?
Connect up the 74HC595 & ULN2803 like I show at the bottom of this schematic.

* 74HC595-8x8LED.jpg (95.22 KB, 960x720 - viewed 27 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

It doesn't matter, I can do both, just wondering on what I could do with the stuff I already have that will get my ultra brightness.  smiley-mr-green

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Non-multiplexed for ultra brightness smiley-cool
I'll be in the next room smiley-wink

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

Maybe I'm not explaining things right or I just got lost.  smiley-red smiley-eek-blue

Anyway, as I asked, can't I just use 2 x ULN2803 chips and 8 pins from the Arduino?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yes you can.
Post a schematic when you're ready.

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

Ok, here's the final deal, a friend also helped me out with the math.  smiley-mr-green

I will drive 2 x 74HC595 in series, so I can get 16 outputs.
Them I will drive those 16 outputs directly to 2 x ULN2803A

On each output of the ULN2803A, I will put a 100 ohm resistor + UB LED. (2.3Vf 20ma)

In my tests it works perfectly. And if I want a second LED to make it more bright, I just put another 100 ohm resistor and add in parallel.

Now I need to get some White-Frost Plexy to test how this will look like.

Here's something some guys did that are similar to my idea. But I plan on using RED-Only LEDs (Ultra Bright) and a 4 x 4 pattern instead.

http://e2e.ti.com/group/microcontrollerprojects/m/msp430microcontrollerprojects/447779.aspx

The difference is that in my project, each square will be touch-sensitive. ;-)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

That'll work.
2 LED/resistors in parallel per outpin will work fine too.
(5V - 2.3V - 0.7V)/100 = 20mA (0.7V is Vce across the ULN2803, rises to 0.9V typical at 100mA)

How are you making them touch sensitive?

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

I'm using the CapSense Library and a 16ch Analog Multiplexer. I had to mess with the code around a bit, in order to get only true positive touches.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,121508.0.html

As soon as I have the first prototype ready, I will post about it.  smiley-mr-green

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: