Go Down

Topic: Super Bright Red Led - BC547B Transistor, but which Resistors? (Read 3788 times) previous topic - next topic

WilliamK Govinda

:-p

Too bad I don't have those. But I will see if the local shop carries it... (doubt it)

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

WilliamK Govinda

Sounds interesting, but how can I do that? Do you mind teaching me, pretty please? ;-) ;-)

WilliamK Govinda

Can't I just use 2 x ULN2803 chips and 8 pins on the Arduino? (I don't need many free pins, only 4 for a multiplexer, and 2 for UART)

CrossRoads

I thought you wanted 16 non-multiplexed LEDs?
Connect up the 74HC595 & ULN2803 like I show at the bottom of this schematic.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

WilliamK Govinda

It doesn't matter, I can do both, just wondering on what I could do with the stuff I already have that will get my ultra brightness.  :smiley-mr-green:

CrossRoads

Non-multiplexed for ultra brightness 8)
I'll be in the next room ;)

WilliamK Govinda

Maybe I'm not explaining things right or I just got lost.  :smiley-red: :smiley-eek-blue:

Anyway, as I asked, can't I just use 2 x ULN2803 chips and 8 pins from the Arduino?

CrossRoads

WilliamK Govinda

Ok, here's the final deal, a friend also helped me out with the math.  :smiley-mr-green:

I will drive 2 x 74HC595 in series, so I can get 16 outputs.
Them I will drive those 16 outputs directly to 2 x ULN2803A

On each output of the ULN2803A, I will put a 100 ohm resistor + UB LED. (2.3Vf 20ma)

In my tests it works perfectly. And if I want a second LED to make it more bright, I just put another 100 ohm resistor and add in parallel.

Now I need to get some White-Frost Plexy to test how this will look like.

Here's something some guys did that are similar to my idea. But I plan on using RED-Only LEDs (Ultra Bright) and a 4 x 4 pattern instead.

http://e2e.ti.com/group/microcontrollerprojects/m/msp430microcontrollerprojects/447779.aspx

The difference is that in my project, each square will be touch-sensitive. ;-)

CrossRoads

That'll work.
2 LED/resistors in parallel per outpin will work fine too.
(5V - 2.3V - 0.7V)/100 = 20mA (0.7V is Vce across the ULN2803, rises to 0.9V typical at 100mA)

How are you making them touch sensitive?

WilliamK Govinda

I'm using the CapSense Library and a 16ch Analog Multiplexer. I had to mess with the code around a bit, in order to get only true positive touches.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,121508.0.html

As soon as I have the first prototype ready, I will post about it.  :smiley-mr-green:

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy