Go Down

Topic: Visual Studio (Read 4723 times) previous topic - next topic

pico

Sep 13, 2012, 05:24 am Last Edit: Sep 13, 2012, 05:31 am by pico Reason: 1

I know people do large projects in the Arduino IDE, what I don't know is why.

For much the same reason a man will choose to attack a coal mine with a teaspoon, I suppose.

Actually, there have been two incidents where I have come across a man trying to mine coal with a teaspoon. The first time, I was walking along on a bright sunny day, when there he was, in a pit by the side of the road. I watched for a while as the fellow painstakingly chipped away at the coal face with the teaspoon. When the teaspoon was full, he'd tip a small amount of coal into a little plastic bucket he had by his side. I said "Hey, man, that looks like hard work: Why don't you at least use a shovel, or something?" He said "A shovel? What's that?" I walked him down to the local hardware store where he picked out a nice shiny shovel. When I left him, he had tears of joy streaming down his grimy, coal-dust covered face. He said "Thank you. How can I can I ever repay you?" I said "Your thanks and tears of joy are reward enough for me." I left, continuing my walk on that bright, sunny day.

Exactly a year later, in the same spot, another fellow, mining coal, with a teaspoon. I said "Hey, man, that looks like hard work: Why don't you at least use a shovel, or something?" He said, with a certain amount of annoyance "A shovel? There's nothing I can do with a _shovel_ that I can't do with my teaspoon!" I pointed out in his agitation he had just bent his little teaspoon. Obviously even more annoyed, he said "Nothing that can't be worked around! Just give me a moment, and I'll bend it backā€¦ and besides, I really LIKE this teaspoon."  So there I left him, wrestling with the bent teaspoon, to each their own.

So sometimes it appears to be simply ignorance that there are superior tools for the job. And sometimes it seems that some people just really like their teaspoon.

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Nick Gammon

"Large projects" and a processor that has, at best, 32 Kb* of programmable memory, don't seem to me to go hand-in-hand.

* excluding whatever you use for the bootloader.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Docedison

Sep 13, 2012, 09:10 am Last Edit: Sep 13, 2012, 05:37 pm by Docedison Reason: 1
from the 70's as I remember... "Different Strokes for Different Folks".
I've got VS2012 and it appears to be a really nice offering I installed Visual Micro and it works as well if not better than many "Alpha" releases do.
Out of curiosity I went back to Microsqash... and looked up a single user licence and $699.00 is a LOT of Money.
That having been said I don't think that software was intended for single users really.
I do believe that anything that comes from Redmond" is going to be expensive and in the past of dubious utility.
I remember Windows 1 or was it Windows 286, I remember Windows 3, 3.1, 3.11 (WFG) and frankly I thought then that Gates had a bowl of stupid for breakfast that morning.
Then there was 95?, ME, 98, and finally XP which in my not so humble opinion was the only one that was worth paying for...
I bought my first copy from a nervous looking fellow at a ham radio swap meet... for $5.00 for a grimy looking CD in a grimier looking Kevlar jacket... it even had a good serial number... Probably copied many times.
My choice of software was unfortunate But Linux was a Nerdy dream with an unacceptably learning curve and my employer wanted "Something that anyone could use" and now after re-reading I forgot how I got started on this rant... Oh yeah software costs.
All apparently works and I am sure I will enjoy learning how to use it, VS and Visual Micro.
Getting back to the sparse IDE and ouija board compiler messages. If there was an easy way for someone with virtually no experience to "Dig" out answers to those slightly arcane messages I'd sure like to know it.
I'm Still very much Stuck on how to make these 2 lines work with a Mega... W/O SoftwareSerial:
"TinyGPS gps;// This one I sort of understand but I can't figure out, Yet, But I will.
***SoftwareSerial nss(3, 4);***
When I change the serial references in the sketch to serial1 I get those (for me... difficult error messages).
I try to find answers however many are hard to find and for me at times difficult and I resist asking here for help except in extreme cases.
I found an error in "A Book on C" Pg 93 and the lines are as follows... Just 2 lines
for i = 0; i < n; i++; {
if (i % 10 == 0)
putchar('\n');...
}

This is supposed to print a newline... every 8 numbers (it is part of a simple program to display 8 random numbers on a line and is to teach about a for loop.
my issue is two fold because in the discussion of the of the code He says... (Kelly and Pohl)
"Suppose that we execute the program and type 19 when prompted... But the example shows 23 numbers... that part was easy.
and on both of my calculators (used when appendages aren't enough to count on) "if (i  %10 ==0)" returns 0 not 8.
It isn't the error so much as just how difficult when you read a piece of code as a Noob it to really understand how to do it.
This is the biggest part of my confusion and it was very confusing but I figured I just didn't understand it... It did really bother me though.
For many of the people here C and C++ have been a lifelong or nearly so occupation, much as electronics has been to me.
I started in March of this year. I have a few years of dos based Microsoft Basic and frankly I think it has made my learning C++ a lot harder.
I wish I knew more,  I will but it is sometimes so very difficult for me... mebbe it's my age. I don't know.
But thank you for all the help in the past... Nick, Nomad and several others.
If I have a question and I can't find a relevant answer, I stay up until I know that Nick is on line. AWOL is great and Peter is also stellar.
So I am most very happy that I can get answers, good answers although I am really reluctant to ask for what I should be able to understand.
I ask my question and get enough to satisfy my immediate questions. Thank you Guy's for all and I hope I can repay what I've learned.
{Edit Doc}
Doc
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Docedison

Nick, And the Mega... 240K/32K = ~8
I would LOVE to find a sketch for a GPS device that worked on a Mega...

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Graynomad

A project I'm currently working on is only about 23k of compiled code at present so not very large I admit, but it still has about 50+ files and all the features I mentioned before are very useful.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Jantje

I consider my current project as a big project. The compile outcome looks as follows
Device: atmega2560

Program:   79240 bytes (30.2% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data:       5469 bytes (66.8% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)

And there is still quite some code to be added.
It includes GPS;ethernet;AES;SD;6 motors;battery management (recharge still to be programmed);remote control;
There are 17 source code files (.ino .cpp .h) in the main project and several others in libraries I develop at the same time.
There are 3570 non blank lines of code (that is inclusive all the libraries I use).
By the way I'm not using visual studio but my eclipse plugin  ]:D
Best regards.
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Go Up