Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Maestro GPS  (Read 1118 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am working on a project that has distributed sensors on an RF network and need precise timing so I can correlate the different events.  I decided that I would time stamp the events using clock cycles after the last pulse per second (PPS) from a GPS receiver.  The distributed nodes will report back to the main station the number of clock cycles since the last PPS and what time that PPS came in at, at least that makes sense to me.

Like anyone else I need to keep the price down on the system and paying a lot of money for a GPS receiver or GPS Arduino shield will not keep the price down.  I went to Mouser.com and found the Maestro GPS shown in this link http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maestro-Wireless-Solutions/A1035-H/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsa9w4dmI1JYEv5hDt7Ew5Y a fully functioning GPS with PPS output for only $20.63 in single quantities.  I bought one and designed a simple breakout board for it and sent that off to Osh Park for fab.

I probably should have asked this before ordering and fabbing, but does anyone here have experience with Maestro's GPS receiver?   This Maestro is not the Maestro model of Magellan.  After I get the breakout board assembled and running I will report my experiences as this seems like a great price for a GPS receiver with integrated antenna especially if they work good with little fuss.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thought I would give an update to this post now that I have gotten the boards back and populated them.  The Maestro GPS unit works great no problems just drove the TX from the GPS to a softserial RX on UNO and it was reporting the correct location and time after the almanac was loaded.

Given the price of this GPS unit it may be useful for others.

wade

Edison Member
If you're not living on the Edge, you're taking up too much space!
View Profile

Ultimate GPS.  PPS output.
For not much more $ you get additional features:
http://adafruit.com/products/746

If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I agree that your suggested GPS would be better for me if I only needed a few of them, but I am using them in sensor nodes and there will be more than a few so the cost savings is significant as I can have some PCBs fabbed and skillet reflow for a few bucks and I probably save $15 per unit.

I mainly posted the results because I asked the question about the maestro units and figured since I had some data I would share my results in case someone else looks at the Maestro units.

wade

Edison Member
If you're not living on the Edge, you're taking up too much space!
View Profile

Great price!  Power for external antenna!  What other features does it have?
Looking forward to hearing more from your experience.

If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Arduino rocks
View Profile

One drawback of the Maestro products is the technical support as the manual is incomplete and emailing Larry for help is time consuming as it takes one day to get a question answered, so it is probably one of those you gets what you pays for.  One example of the technical support I got was when I asked about the PPS signal Larry told me they did not recommend the PPS for timing.  I got concerned about the PPS signal after hearing their recommendation, so I emailed him and asked what the problem was, he told me the signals were only accurate to 330 nanoseconds in the worst case.  Maestro's timing errors on the PPS signals is on par with everyone else.  My timing requirements are on the order on milliseconds so the standard PPS errors are fine for my app.

I recently ordered a couple of the newer models the 2035 http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Maestro-Wireless-Solutions/A2035-H/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsjLMBIknjmkuVhKqprv9GpN3Jf4M%2fyBeA%3d as it is a little more sensitive, will track more sats, and is about $2 cheaper.  The soldering pads footprint of the 2035 are the same as the 1035 so the breakout card will only need minor tweaks.

Long story short:  I would buy one of the better known GPS modules if I was only going to use one or two, as the learning curve does not make it worth it for the Maestro.  As stated earlier I wian yo using many of them so it makes sense for me.

wade

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: