Trouble with Arduino UNO R3 + EasyVR Shield

Not a problem. As I said, I had be stalling working with this for some time and you were the perfect opportunity to get back to it.

I'll let you know when Veear replies.

Okay, I got the goods. I have attached the EasyVR firmaware to this post so download it and place it in Program Files\Veear\EasyVR Commander directory. Then open up a command prompt in that EasyVR Commander directory.

For your hardware, disconnect the USB move the jump to UP on the EasyVR Shield connected to the Arduino. Reconnect the USB and note which COM port that is being used.

Go back to the command prompt window in the EasyVR Commander directory and type:

VeeLoader -p COMx -c EASYVR_FW.HEX -nofast

Where x is the COM PORT your Arduino/EasyVR is on.

The firmware should upload to the EasyVR. If not, disconnect the Arduino for a couple seconds then plug it back in and try again.

EASYVR_FW.HEX (455 KB)

AWESOME!

I will give that a go when I get home tonight. It was my bday yesterday so I was out for the count most of the day. I wouldn't have wanted to try it then anyways.

Thank you very much!

No problem and Happy Birthday!

Thank you very much for the birthday wishes.

I got the hex downloaded and ran the prompt. As you can see in my attached pic, it was not successful. I closed up the original prompt and tried it again. One question I do have....and maybe it's a dumb question...but if I switch USB ports on my computer, should my COM port change as well? No matter what USB port I have plugged in, my device manager still says COM6.

Also, I am still using the UNO R3. Should I have gone USB2UART with my atmega uno? I tried to yank the chip out but it was giving me some resistance and I didn't want to end up with two arduino "pieces" rather than an arduino.

Hex.PNG

hex2.PNG

I got that timeout before, but after unplugging and pluging the USB in, it took off.

When you switch the jumper to UP and plug it back in, does the red D5 LED come on in the front?

I did some further messing and got the timeout while playing with the height of the shield just a tiny bit. I pushed it back down and it took off uploading (after unplugging and plugging the USB). I really hate intermittent problems!

You do not have to pull the Atmega, the shield holds the microcontroller in reset when you put it in UP or PC so it uses your 16u2 chip to talk to the shield not the Atmega.

I tried it a bunch more times this morning before I had to take off for work. I will get after it again tonight when I get home. I was messing with the positioning of the shield too but I'll keep trying different things to see if I can get her to go.

When I switch the jumper to UP I do get the red light. One question I have for you is, when your jumper is in UP and you have the D5 light on, is your green D6 light on as well? Mine will flicker and sometimes stay on simultaneously with D5. Most of the time when I switch to UP, D6 shuts off.

In UP mode, I only get 1 short flash on D6 while D5 is solid red. It might be worthwhile to gently pressing around the Arduino RESET/5v pins and the D0/D1 to see if there is a short. Also, have you tried the other Arduino with this firmware update?

I will definitely press on the reset/5v pins and the d0/d1 and check that out. I have not tried my other arduino yet but I will absolutely try that tonight. Fingers crossed it uploads on try #1....or 2....or 3.

It will take on the first try "when it is in the mood" :stuck_out_tongue: Also, look for cold solder joints on the shield around those pins. I will see how painful the USB2UART will be tonight.

Well...I tried it with both arduinos last night and earlier today. It didn't upload on either one. I checked all the solder points and there's nothing wrong or shorted out as far as I can tell.

When I switched to the Arduino w/ the atmega, it switched my com port to com7 from com6 but it was on the same USB port as the Uno R3. I think I may just be confused as to how coms are assigned. It also paused for a long time twice before it went into the retry count. When it paused there I started freaking out thinking that it was working but then after awhile it just gave me the same error.

Tonight I'm going to hook it up to my htpc and see if it will work from there.

Sorry for the late response. I am just trying to figure out how to get on the insanely small headers on J1 (next to the headphone jack). Must have been designed for a JST type connector and I can not figure any easy way for you to access the ERx/ETx/5v/Gnd which would bypass the shield. Anyhow, if you can think of anything clever to get at them from your side, feel free to let me know. I will see if we can get some extra help from Veear/TIGAL.

Hey. No worries. There's no schedule. I got home late tonight and didn't feel like giving myself a headache trying my htpc anyways.

About the J1...duct tape? JK. I could probably swing by the microcenter by my house (basically an electronics wal mart if you don't have one) and see if they have something like a JST that would work. Even if you just had a female JST on solid core wire, strip it and plug it into the arduino that might work to bypass the shield right?

Well, somebody has got to have the patience :stuck_out_tongue:

Pretty much, but I have yet to run into one that is solid core. Usually JSTs give you a little more than 7-8 strands and I lose 2-3 of them stripping :roll_eyes: . I will see if I have any JSTs left from my salvage of other projects. Also we will need a 1K resistor to hold the reset on the Arduino (unless you want to pull the Atmega).

I have no problem pulling the atmega. It looks like there's a small gap for a really small flathead to fit on the ends. I'll just pop it off.

I may need to wait until Sunday to get to microcenter and see what kind of connecter I can find or fashion.

I hope that Veear can offer something. If nothing else, Sparkfun told me that if Veear says that the shield may be faulty, they will exchange it for me at no cost. I actually emailed Veear the day before I got onto this forum. Haven't heard anything yet. My inquiry probably sounded like someone that hadn't put much effort into finding anything out on my own though so I'm not surprised.

Cool deal. We will play with it a little this weekend, but I sense will will have a resolution of the hardware this next week. We will just not jeopardize any return possibilities.

Anyhow, I am still searching for that 4 pin JST I had a year ago. I should have something by Sunday as well.

Hello,
I also have exactly the same mistake, I wonder how you fared solution to this problem. Thanks for the reply.
Excuse my English - google translator

Hey Guys,

I am having the same mistake also. I really wish you guys would update with what happened to help us out.

If you can find the time let us know. Thanks in advance.

Mike