Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: ARM-based Arduino Due - where??  (Read 7362 times)
Portland, OR
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

@westfw:
Good point on the Maker Faire. I'm not gonna get my expectations up, but the timing does seem to be about right! And they do have this on the 2012 Program schedule for Sept. 29:

"1:00PM » The Arduino Hour with Massimo Banzi (co-founder of the Arduino Project) & Alf-Egil Bogen (Atmel Corporation)"
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:51:15 am by giantsfan3 » Logged

Forum Administrator
God Member
I find plain exciting
View Profile

I think westfw is a good detective smiley

Portland, OR
View Profile

@Massimo:
Glad to hear it! Looking forward to another great presentation.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

Better hurry.  Both my teensy 3.0 and my Frescale Freedom also shipped this week...

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Sounds promising.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Better hurry.  Both my teensy 3.0 and my Frescale Freedom also shipped this week...

My teensy 3.0 will ship in the second batch so next month sometime. Massimo better watch out or the Teeny 3.0 may indeed become the new Due.  smiley-wink

Possibly the problem with the 'Over-Due' delay is the result of a problem identified in the book 'The Mythical Man-month' (or some such title like that), where the more people you throw at a project the more time it take to complete it. Paul working alone might just have had too large an advantage?  smiley-grin

Lefty

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Possibly the problem with the 'Over-Due' delay is the result of a problem identified in the book 'The Mythical Man-month' (or some such title like that), where the more people you throw at a project the more time it take to complete it. Paul working alone might just have had too large an advantage?  smiley-grin

Lefty
That is known as Brooks Law (Fred Brooks wrote the MMM book).  Here is the wikipedia entry on MMM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month.  However, Brooks Law would only come into effect if they added more people.

I have no knowledge of the Arduino team, but I have worked in the high tech industry for 33 years now, and I have seen many late projects.  I suspect the second system effect in Mythical Man-Month may be more of the cause: The second-system effect proposes that, when an architect designs a second system, it is the most dangerous system he will ever design, because he will tend to incorporate all of the additions he originated but did not add (due to inherent time constraints) to the first system. Thus, when embarking upon a second system, an engineer should be mindful that he is susceptible to over-engineering it.

If not the second system, I suspect part of the issue is just the fact that DUE is a completely different system than AVR.  Do you do things like map the Arduino pins to ARM, or do you force users to have various #ifdef's in thier code.  I haven't looked at the details of either ARM or AVR chips, but it may be some things like interrupts, PWM, sizes of the 'int' type, inline assembly, etc. are completely different.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:40:03 am by MichaelMeissner » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: