Go Down

Topic: Some help with Serial connection (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

april

Sep 12, 2012, 11:51 am Last Edit: Sep 13, 2012, 11:35 am by april Reason: 1
I'm looking for an understandable clear explanation of what goes on when a serial connection is opened.

I have a chip producing output on /dev/ttyusb4 and when I open a serial terminal there comes the data as expected. If I change the port to ttyUSB3 I will see the data coming from the mobile modem through which I connect.

Alex at insidegadgets.com used VUSB in his Standalone Voltage and Temperature Logger  and this works in such a way that when I have an application like a spreadsheet open the data comes into the spreadsheet automatically.

A site I posted recently uses a python module to prepare and receive serial data and that is sent to a web page .

So whats happening ? What can I do to put the serial data coming in into a spreadsheet automatically?

PaulS

What can I do to put the serial data coming in into a spreadsheet automatically?

Write an application on the PC to do that.

andTo86

An easy route would be to dump it to a comma separated text file - in other words, your microcontroller would print (without line feeds) a value, a comma, a value, a comma, etc, then println(",") to end that row with a comma.

The computer end - You can send that to hyperterminal and write the results to a .txt file, rename it to .csv and import it directly into excel. If you want it to be automated, take a look at Visual Basic 2010 - You should be able to piece together some sample code to write the serial directly to a .csv. You can open them with excel, but you have to open excel first, then open the file from within excel, and it will launch a wizard to import your data.

dxw00d

/dev/ttyusb4

Would suggest the OP is not using Windows, so
take a look at Visual Basic 2010

isn't going to work.

It's a pity Mikmo can't port Gobetwino to other platforms.

april

Sep 13, 2012, 11:34 am Last Edit: Sep 13, 2012, 11:39 am by april Reason: 1

Write an application on the PC to do that.

Are you EVER going to read the posts before your cynical responses?
I have a chip producing output on /dev/ttyusb4 and when I open a serial terminal there comes the data as expected.

You are getting less and less helpful so why post?

Go Up