Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Is it OK to be a hacker again?  (Read 2135 times)
North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

On a related note, I watched the movie "Hackers" this weekend.  I almost had an aneurism.  "Run Anti-Virus!!"
Haha yeah always makes me laugh.

westfw, that's a nice definition you got there. I'd rather it was still thought of like that.

Mowcius

God Member
View Profile

I refer to myself as a "Programmer"...

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

I call myself "uber 1337 haxor" but I also call my self king, god and comedian

hey! that's MR weirdo to you!

;D

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

if they steal informations from a corporation, I'm glad they did
Because it's just swell when a corporation loses lots of business, has to cancel new and innovative products, has to lay off most of its work force, and causes their stockholders to lose their investments?  How kind!

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

has to cancel new and innovative products,

one could argue once a company hits the point of being a self aware corporation they loose most innovation and become nothing but a cash consumption machine

2 examples microsoft, whom is having a innovation identity crisis and Electronic Arts whom wont even bother to smile at you as they rob you with inferior product

I dont agree that stealing from a machine is right, though its less of a moral issue
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:18:50 am by Osgeld » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

well m$oft seem to have gotten "self" aware of it's lack of inovation and began working on the problem aka window 7 era of sotware are quite an interesting turn

but EA ... EA is beyong recovery these bozzos should die

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I dont agree that stealing from a machine is right,

You can't steal from a machine because the machine doesn't own anything. You only steal from some one who owns something. If extracting something from a machine deprives some person of something rightfully theirs then it is stealing.

The grey area comes when you question the "rightfully theirs" bit of it.

Canada
Power Level is futile (if < 9 000)
View Profile

one could argue once a company hits the point of being a self aware corporation they loose most innovation and become nothing but a cash consumption machine

2 examples microsoft, whom is having a innovation identity crisis and Electronic Arts whom wont even bother to smile at you as they rob you with inferior product

I dont agree that stealing from a machine is right, though its less of a moral issue
That was my point.

But we would still argue over and over about copyright concern.

If you ask me: if copyrighted material either try to control your use over your product (aka DRM and others), if they put a price-tag over something that could pottentionally bring technological advancement thoughout the world or advancement of the Humans as a species and if they put a price-tag on something that should be free, either because it's total junk or because of reason #2;

Then, only then, you lost my complete morality over the issue.
But see who's talking: I never pirated anything that was really copyrighted material.

Music? Heck no, I hate most music, not even intesrested. Movies? Neither. I tend to respect Artists, even if I believe that all form of Art shouldnt be credited to a particuliar person. (recognision of the creators? Yes, of course. Fame and Glory? Yes. Money? Meh...) There was a time when brilliant men and women made great works and discoveries without gaining any money for it.

What I believe that should be free, I'm talking about informations, about datas. Things that aren't even considered a luxury or entertainment. These things should be available to everyone.

Why is copyright always related to money? I hate money...
(OMG, we got a communist!  ;D )
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:07:21 pm by kraig » Logged

Boston Suburbs
God Member
I am above your silly so-called "Laws", Mister Ohm.
View Profile

Here's an interesting question.. because it could happen right here.  

We are continuously "inventing" new things with the Arduino.  As we all know, what will end up actually selling out there in the world is sometimes purely random- a fad can spring up around almost any product.

The other day I used the TvOut library to make a little video greeting card for my wife.  She ended up telling her friends.  It was cute, had the potential to become a marketable doohickey, for the sake of the discussion.  I put about an half hour into the whole thing.  Let's say I turn around, market it, and make a few million riding the fad.  Though not legally obligated to do so, I'd probably send the tvout lib author a check, because of the hundreds of hours (unpaid) that have gone into it.  If he's been unpaid but I've made millions, I'd feel that I'd been dishonest.

What happens when "free" intellectual property suddenly becomes valuable?

When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

Canada
Power Level is futile (if < 9 000)
View Profile

Depending on the licence its either legal or illegal.

The Arduino for exemple is under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license. Wish allow commercial use if they are credited and under the same license.

If it is Noncommercial and you are making money out of it, then it is illegal.

If the author allow Commercial use, then I'm pretty sure he doesn't care, but it doesn't stop you from sending him money has a personnal recognition and he will be glad for it.

Cumming, GA
Edison Member
Ultimate DIY: Arduino
View Profile

I don't hack... I tinker.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: