Go Down

Topic: MSGEQ7 maxes out easily (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

kubiej21

I am making a color organ using Adafruit's WS-2801 LED pixels and the MSGEQ7 spectrum analyzer chip. Currently, I have the color organ working quite well, however, I am running into a bit of an issue with the MSGEQ7. It seems that the chip is only useful when the audio output on my computer is set to about 50%. Obviously, in a party environment, music levels won't typically be set to 50%... When I set the audio output to 100%, the frequency bands of the chip tend to "flood" into the surrounding frequency bands.

For instance, if I generate a 63Hz tone, I would expect to see the 63Hz band output a max value of 1023, and the six remaining bands would (in a perfect world) output the min value of 0. I am seeing near max values across all frequency bands. Is there some way that I could reduce the audio output to the MSGEQ7 without actually turning down the volume on my computer? I tried dropping resistors, but that had no effect...

Osgeld

When I set the audio output to 100%, the frequency bands of the chip tend to "flood" into the surrounding frequency bands.

Thats exactly what happens in real life as well

set your computer at 50%, read the info, and THEN send it to your noise generator, I mean overworked amp for your thump

;)
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

James C4S

The MSGEQ7 is meant for use with line-level and not amplified audio.

I tried dropping resistors, but that had no effect...

Then try others or explain how you used them.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

kubiej21

The MSGEQ7 is meant for use with line-level and not amplified audio.

Learn something new every day. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I will give it a shot and post the end results so that others might benefit from the info.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy