Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 5V Out Of Cubase?  (Read 1169 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm considering a project.  I'd like to toss up a light with a solid state relay on it which would only turn on when I'm recording in Cubase.  On playback the light would be off.  I'm fairly imfamous for announcing "LISTENING" just before we do the playback, but a lot of time is wasted when a light could take care of all of it.

I'm guessing the heavy lifting would be more on the software end as I've done light relays before.

Anyone have any guesses as to where to start.  I'm not even sure this would even require the Arduino now that I think about  it.

Brandon

Edison Member
View Profile

smiley-sad  I don't think so... You can't re-program Cubase.    (But, I don't own Cubase.) 

You could build a MIDI-controlled relay/light, but you'd have to click a button to send the MIDI command before recording.   If you have to click something to turn on the light, that's a lot more trouble to build & set-up than simply wiring-up up a regular 'ol light switch.

Unless...  Maybe there is a way to automate stuff in Cubase?    For example, if can you set-it up some sort of batch operation in Cubase where you click on a command and have it start recording and send-out a MIDI command to a MIDI instrument.  There is a MIDI Shield that allows the Arduino to send/receive MIDI commands. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:24:20 pm by DVDdoug » Logged

France
View Profile

There 2 possibilities IMHO.

One with arduino, the other without. All depends from the hardware of your computer.

If you've got an parallel printer port, it's easy to drive an small relay with it.

If you don't have one : use an arduino (small one) to get an serial (through) usb command that allow to light on/light off.

The only small part to do is :

Realise a small soft that get an information from midi and translate it to the parallel port or to the arduino.

If you don't want to use an hardware midi, you can use one of the virtual midi drivers that you can easily find on internet.

All that is written is considering you use an pc window computer, not an mac.

Best regards.

ref of the schema : http://www.uncreativelabs.net/index.php?site=programming|pport.php

Yorkshire England
Arduino good init
View Profile

I think you need to use MMC? Midi machine code. This sends out a message for start,stop,ff,rr and song position. I think you can set cubase to have a bar or two intro so the play/record light comes on early but still when you press play/record. You could display all the transport info on some kind of led display maybe.

View Profile

You could build a MIDI-controlled relay/light, but you'd have to click a button to send the MIDI command before recording.   If you have to click something to turn on the light, that's a lot more trouble to build & set-up than simply wiring-up up a regular 'ol light switch.
I just finished an 8ch version last week, but as is I'm not aware of how to use if to for this case.   smiley-grin

The use of a switch for this is a non-option.  My sessions are WAY too fast and even though I've probably logged 10,000 hours on Cubase I can keep up with few clients.  My console, compressors, etc keep me VERY busy at work.  I'm looking for an automated solution.

I think you need to use MMC? Midi machine code. This sends out a message for start,stop,ff,rr and song position.
Hmm!  Now that sounds very, very interesting.  Thanks!  I'll look into it.  If that does what I want I simply need a solid state relay.  This project will be a breeze.  (Famous last works.   smiley-grin)

Brandon

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: