Go Down

Topic: Interstellar Travel (Read 2863 times) previous topic - next topic

AWOL

Thoughts?

I've just finished reading C M Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons" - I find the similarity striking.

I have a theory about our energy problem: we paint the earth black.
I remember an article in Omni magazine in the late 70s, saying the solution to global warming would be to paint the State of Texas white.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

radman

If it is energy you want you don't need to paint the planet black, just build a Dyson-Harrop Satellite [nothing to do with the vacuum cleaner/hand dryer man].

Building a shpere is a bit ambitious as you would need all the matter in the solar system, but a satellite sounds do-able  :|

In fact any advance civilisation worth its salt will have one hence this paper to detect advanced civilisations by detecting the satellites.
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/abscicon2010/pdf/5469.pdf

Meanwhile NASA are looking at a faster than light drive so theat we can pay a visit.
The spacecraft does not actually travel faster than light it just bends space around it to achieve the same result - so that is okay then. Apparently they think it can be done without needing several stars to power it.

Go Up